RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have had a crush on a Range Rover for years now. It has been on my bucket list, and now I want to pull the trigger.
I have had bmw's for years and want to change 1 of mine for this luxury SUV.
I keep hearing that they are problematic , and I should stay clear. ( I cant believe that)
So team any help on a used Range Rover sport. Which is the better engine V6 or V8?
I am looking at a 2016 RR HSE sport . Are there good and bad years?
Also am I on the right forum for a 2016. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Maverick, welcome to the forum! Yes, you're in the right place.

Indeed, Range Rovers are more problematic than their German competitors. But, not to the point where you should stay clear. The key about peace of mind is to have an extended warranty if you're buying pre-owned; and the best way to go about that is to buy a CPO car. There are lots of posts on this forum talking about extended warranties. Do a search and take the time to read them.

The new vehicle RR warranty is four years. So your sweet spot right now is to buy a 2017 or 2018 CPO. You're getting a large discount from new, two to three years left in the original warranty, plus two years of the CPO warranty. So you could end up with essentially a four or five year warranty on the car, which is a win-win!

There is a big difference between the V6 and V8. The V6 has adequate power. The HSE Dynamic bumps that power to about 380HP and you can feel the difference for sure. The V8 is a monster. If you want to drive an SUV that feels, drives and sounds like a sports car, the V8 is the way to go. If you're looking for a more subdued, refined and luxurious drive, the V6 will do well. I have owned both. I started with a 2014 V8 and now I'm on a 2017 V6 Dynamic. For my style of driving, the V6 is a much better fit. With that said, engine is a very personal choice and only you can answer what is better for you.

There are no good or bad years, but there are significant milestones that you might want to consider:

2014 First model year.
2015 Introduced in-control apps. They're a joke. Ignore that!
2016 Introduced auto access mode (where the car lowers itself when you turn off the engine) and kick-to-open tailgate (where you kick the bumper with your foot and the tailgate opens).
2017 Introduced the new InControl Touch Pro infotainment system. This is a HUGE leap forward from the old system.
2018 Introduced the refreshed body style and new double InControl Touch Pro Duo double screens.

There is no wrong or right way to go. Some people put more effort on engine power some others put it on creature comforts. The one key component that you should really consider regardless of everything else is the extended warranty. You're gonna pay a premium up front (meaning it's going to cost more to buy a CPO car at a LR dealer than one at another automaker's used car lot), but in the long run you'll save yourself a huge headache with service once the extended warranty kicks in.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Jose

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with baxter in regards to getting an extended warranty on your RR. When I got mine (2016 RRSport HSE Td6), it came with a CPO warranty until 3/2022 or 100,000 whichever hits first so I should be set for quite a while. Definitely take your time to do the research and find which options are important to you. Good luck and definitely let us know what you got!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was shopping around and found a sweet deal.
2015 RR HSE 5.0liter V8 black on ivory 27.7k miles . $47,000. But when I checked the Carfax it
said it got a new engine installed 27.5miles . there was a recall on engines for under torqued engine rods and this could take this engine out. Hmm? A new engine here sound good to me. This is at a Mercedes dealer in Mass.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's either an HSE v6 or Supercharged v8. There is no such thing as a 2015 HSE v8. By the way, lots of dealers that sell used Range Rovers always mess up their listings and list their HSE's a Supercharged (which they are not) or as v8 (which they are not either).

Look at the pictures. If the emblem says HSE, it's definitely a v6. If it says Supercharged it's a v8. If there is no emblem and SPORT in in red, chances are it's an HSE Dynamic (which has the more potent v6).

Post a link and I'm happy to take a look and offer some thoughts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A few things come to mind from the pics:

- It has the climate package, which is nice. Cooled and heated seats!
- It has the TFT screen, which is very cool.
- It has the base sound system, which is horrible. If you're someone who likes to play music and enjoy good sound quality in a car, stay away from Range Rovers that have the base sound system. You'll be truly disappointed. You can tell the difference between the base system and the Meridian 825 system because the base system speaker grills don't have a logo. Meridian-equipped cars have the Meridian logo on the speaker grills. If you're not a music kind of guy, then carry on!

Hope this helps.

j.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts