RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the P38A EAS Issue (I have read the guides I promise!)

Hi Guys, I bought a 99 4.6 HSE a few weeks ago and although she is pretty good in many ways as with many of them she does have a few characterful traits. I have so far managed to fix the climate control (burnt out relay 7) and one or two other bits but the EAS is still being a bit of a pain.

Basically its very slow to lift some mornings/days. I ordered a set of compressor seals but as you might imagine it was totally perfect for a week. I have no errors showing on the dash board, the height change button is flashing as its attempting a height change and eventually it manages it. Sometimes it can be after a few miles of driving etc. If it has got to height and I park it on a largely flat surface then it will stay at its correct ride height for days on end so I don't think any bags are leaking. Once it has come up to height it will go up and down with the change height button quickly and smoothly.

However today she has been a pain, refusing to come up from exit mode even with going for a 20 minute drive. But once parked back on my drive (its not perfectly level) I can see and hear the dam thing lifting the front end to level its self with the back when I'm not in it!

I think I will change the compressor seals as I have them already but could someone advise me as to what actually might be wrong?

As a round up, eventually after a few miles of driving the whole system works perfectly, at no point do I get any errors on the dash and all the LEDs in the switches seem to work fine (further pointing that electrically everything is working) Once the vehicle is at a height it will stay there for several days with no movement or kneeling on any corner.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Re: Newbie to the P38A EAS Issue (I have read the guides I promise!)

It may hold air ot one height but not another. Bag need to be checked for leaks at ALL levels. It is actually rather common to not leak at standard height yet leak in highway mode. Naturally this puts undue stress on the compressor until it eventually fails attempting to maintain pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ah yes that is a good point, I was just looking at the pictures of the bags with faults in different places. Being very new to this, if I put the car on a lift and let the wheels drop will that extend the bags to their max so they can inspected?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

Ah yes that is a good point, I was just looking at the pictures of the bags with faults in different places. Being very new to this, if I put the car on a lift and let the wheels drop will that extend the bags to their max so they can inspected?
You need to inspect them with soapy water at each height. Extending the bags will only seal up any cracks you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I will add to this to say I have resolved the EAS issue on my rangie.

I had already bought a set of compressor seals and found my self back from work a bit earlier than expected so I thought I would tackle the job of changing them.

It looks like its had a replacement 2nd hand compressor at some point as taking it to bits showed me a considerable amount of dirt and a completely destroyed main piston seal.

After rebuilding with the kit and good clean up and then refitting the compressor I started the car and within two minutes had risen to a proper ride height and will now move between the height modes in several seconds rather than several minutes!

I also found the problem with my cruise control with a cracked vacuum pipe and fixed that so its been a productive evening!

·
Registered
896 Posts

I will add to this to say I have resolved the EAS issue on my rangie.

I had already bought a set of compressor seals and found my self back from work a bit earlier than expected so I thought I would tackle the job of changing them.

It looks like its had a replacement 2nd hand compressor at some point as taking it to bits showed me a considerable amount of dirt and a completely destroyed main piston seal.

After rebuilding with the kit and good clean up and then refitting the compressor I started the car and within two minutes had risen to a proper ride height and will now move between the height modes in several seconds rather than several minutes!

I also found the problem with my cruise control with a cracked vacuum pipe and fixed that so its been a productive evening!
Good to hear you changed the seals. From my experience, the replacement seals don't last as long as the originals. Mine was shot after just 8 months. Also, be sure you still check the airbags as they could still be leaking and may overwork your new piston seal. As mentioned, check each height with soapy water. The was is a great ride. I miss air suspension, but my P38 is built for a different purpose now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts