RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,
I'm seriously considering buying a 1999 DSE. The car looks in good condition and it done 215000km.
Since I've never owned a Range Rover, I was wondering if you could guide me as to what to look for in terms of critical mechanical aspects that in a car of this age and mileage could go wrong or indeed parts that should have been replaced. Do you have some sort of check list that you would use?
I'm planning to use it a daily runner doing in average 50km per day and since it is my wife who is going to run it taking my daughter to school, I NEED a reliable vehicle.
Thanks a lot in advance for your comments. :clap:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the all mighty P38 with a BMW engine is not reliable? I mean, I’m not expecting a Land Cruiser type of reliability but I did not expect such a drastic answer….

Well just might have destroyed my dream of owning a P38! :( :crybaby2:

G

·
0 Posts
ReyRob77 said:
So the all mighty P38 with a BMW engine is not reliable? I mean, I’m not expecting a Land Cruiser type of reliability but I did not expect such a drastic answer….

Well just might have destroyed my dream of owning a P38! :( :crybaby2:
The MKIII had the BMW 4.4 engine, not the P38 (that's a whole story in itself)
Range Rovers are not know for there reliability, but if you are in the least bit competent with a screwdriver, you can figure most things out.

I have found it's a coin flip, you may get lucky, or you may get dumped on. But knowing what to look for and keeping it well maintained makes the difference...except when it doesn't. ;)

With over 155,000 miles, things WILL fail on you, frequently. Look for as later a model as you can aford with less miles and you should be ok.

·
Registered
640 Posts
ReyRob77 said:
I'm seriously considering buying a 1999 DSE.
Mr. Range Rover said:
The DSE is the P38 Diesel variant fitted with the 2.5 BMW Diesel Engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Forum, is the DSE any good? I have a full RR Service History. 2 owners from new.
What worries is that it had the radiator replaced but not the head gasket. I'm going to ask the owner why it was replaced. He sent me a whole bunch of invoices of all garage intervention in the past 2 years. About 5K€ in total. The air suspension has just been serviced and it has a full service done just 4000km ago.
I'm aware of the fact that the car is 11 years old and has 200000km and that it would not be perfect but from my experience, I'll rather have a car with 200k than one with 150k km because by 200k most things would have gone wrong and would/should have been fixed...
Anyhow, this is my theory.... so far it worked.

G

·
0 Posts
Col said:
ReyRob77 said:
I'm seriously considering buying a 1999 DSE.
Mr. Range Rover said:
The DSE is the P38 Diesel variant fitted with the 2.5 BMW Diesel Engine.

Cheers
Yep, My bad. Been away from Blighty for so sodding long I forgot what a diesel was :roll:

Having said that, I stand by my original statement. The diesel will have faired better, but the drivetrain is still all Land Rover.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well here is what happened to our 2.5 DHSE whilst on a month’s holiday to Italy. Returned last week.
Bear with me.
Motor had 129,000 miles on the clock when I bought it, six weeks prior to our trip. Just before we left, I checked all fluids, mechanical items, drive belts, oil + filter change. Was as thorough as I could possibly be.
Set off with our twin axle caravan in tow (1745 kg fully loaded).
Down to Dover for the ferry crossing to Dunkerque, then through Belgium, Germany, Austria and finally Northern Italy to Lake Garda for the first part of our journey, about 1300 miles from home in total.
Vehicle ran fine, although on some parts of the German motorways the temp gauge would creep up towards the danger zone especially on some steep gradients with the outside temp hitting 38c or near 100f. (I always keep an eye on the temp gauge when towing). Not surprising as this was more than likely the hottest ambient temp the vehicle has had to drive in during its whole life.
The next stage of our hols was to drive down to the Italian Riviera a short journey of 280 miles. We got about halfway, when I noticed the temp gauge about to enter the danger zone; this was going downhill on an Italian motorway. So I went into neutral and pulled over on to the hard shoulder (refuge lane)? As I did this the warning light came on, so I stopped the vehicle. Pulled the bonnet (hood) with loads of steam coming out from the front grill. Expecting to see a burst hose, it was worse.
The plastic top of the radiator had a 1/8 inch split along ¾ of its length, so this was a recovery off the motorway to the nearest garage.
Luckily it was a Land Rover dealer in the city of Alessandria. I ordered a radiator (late Friday afternoon) which would arrive Tuesday morning.
On Saturday I removed the fan, radiator cowl and radiator. Took out the thermostat and checked it in a pan of boiling water and it was fine. Removed the water pump and out of the block fell pieces of the pump impeller, with the bulk of the impeller hanging loose on the shaft.
It had broken up and come away from the pump shaft. I suppose it had gone brittle with age. Plastic is never as good as a cast iron impeller, although easier to make.
Suffice to say after fitting a new pump, thermostat and radiator at nearly €500 Euro’s it did not dent our holiday too much although we were stranded for 4 days. Good job the engine was not cooked; I don’t know what would have happened then. 3000 mile trip all in.

Check your water pumps if your vehicle is 9 years or older and has in excess of 100,000 miles. It will take you half a day to do the work but could save you a lot of grief.

ReyRob77.

Buy the vehicle if you are reasonably mechanically minded and have some basic electrical knowledge. There is nothing on these vehicles that can’t be fixed with those two items, although sometimes you might need to add some money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Vaz, thanks for your comments and good advice. I will have the car check again by the RR garage in Cannes (where the car is) and I do not mind spending a bit of money once they can guarantee me that the car looks good. On top of it, according to French law, the seller must take the car to pass a thorough MOT equivalent before selling that cannot be older that 2 months.
Personally, I will not be towing anything or going on long trips on the motorway. I will use this car for short distances on country roads and mainly in the winter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

I have a 98 2.5 DSE automatic with 300.000kms on it `) . The RR have some issues that require you attention but extremely easy to fix (upgrade) :)
The radiator is crap... ALL the diesel soon or later will broke down with a top of the radiator blown. DON'T BUY aftermarket radiators for the diesel one.. I bought one and last me 2 months, the plastic is cheappy and get old very quickly... Buy original or try to find someone how makes the top on copper or so.
Another thing that can save you money and trouble is the cooling water level sensor, just buy a M3 expansion tank with the sensor and change the original, this way you will not cook the engine if a radiator our a hose blown out.
Another thing that requires attention is the famous orings... but this is common to both models, petrol and diesel..
If the DSE is manual, with 200.000kms you have to think about clutch and engine flywheel, this dual mass flywheel is known to fail (but is normal in this cars, A3, A4, 320d, 525tds.. and so, and so, and so...)
See if the injector pump is loosing diesel, it's a common issue too when the kms starts to becoming high.

About the rest is a RR like any other around here.
if you have any question just ask. :thumb:
Regards,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Sersan, thanks for the precious advice. The car in question is an automatic. How solid is the gearbox? Should I change the gearbox oil just to be sure or is it not necessary? Anything specific I should look at in regards to the air suspensions?
thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts