RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, greetings to All!

I am delighted to be here and specially joyous becoming a member of this RR family. I have become a new owner of my 'everwanted' 2012 SC Autobiography! I bought it online as a clean title, no previous accidents, comprehensive and documented history etc. from the USA on March the 10th 2020 and it's currently on its maiden voyage to me in Africa (West). Need I say the COVID-19 plague has delayed my joy from getting to me sooner. Well, I just must remain safe (from the pandemic) as I wait her arrival at about the end of June 2020. I have spent some good time here and have read very encouraging and educative posts here. I just can't wait to start exchanging my experience as soon as I receive my car.

By the way, the cherry on top is that the car comes in the colour and Trim I have always wished to own, - Bournvile paint, with Arrabica, Arrabica interior. (y) ;)

It also comes fitted with every option of the year model series but for the deployable side steps. That I definitely will love to add to it.

I found a new OEM one for sale online (very hard to find OEMs) but the price is quite steep at USD$ 2500.00 excluding shipping. Wow!

I will appreciate all tips and suggestions. Ahh! Am so sorry for this my lengthy intro. But then, thanks for reading it, God bless and remain well!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
184 Posts
Very nice! Make sure you take pix upon its arrival. The color combo is superb. I think I may have stumbled upon it while it was for sale...it's just a very striking and unique color combo.

Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
268 Posts
"My Range Rover brings all the Autobiography's to the yard....."

Welcome and congrats fellow AB owner!

ABs by design have all features/options as well as the premium soft leather and full leather trim. Some like CaifanSC's are hand painted with custom factory AB badging in the engine bay! (all ABs are hand assembled).

I own one of the last production run MY12 ABs (has a late 2012 production date) and its a wonderful vehicle.

BTW side steps on a MY12 AB require you lose the factory side skirt kit for the regular L322 one or there are select overfinch copy side skirts (about $800 USD shipped) which allow the steps to fit and give the original AB look. Regular ABs with side steps lose the side skirts for a normal L322 side valance. If you do the install yourself you can get everything ready to install (except paint on the valances) for under $3,000 USD.

Reactions: 2012Autobiography

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My '12SC is not an AB, but it does have Arabica interior and Nara Bronze paint. I love the Arabica interior, it just looks comfortable. I have fixed side steps. Personally, I like the clean look of neither type of side step but I figure they do provide some protection from flying rocks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to be a robotics engineer for the company that supplied paint shop plant and equipment to the car industry including the Solihull Land Rover where I spent some time back in the late 90's and early 00's, the AB are no more "hand assembled" than anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"My Range Rover brings all the Autobiography's to the yard....."

Welcome and congrats fellow AB owner!

ABs by design have all features/options as well as the premium soft leather and full leather trim. Some like CaifanSC's are hand painted with custom factory AB badging in the engine bay! (all ABs are hand assembled).

I own one of the last production run MY12 ABs (has a late 2012 production date) and its a wonderful vehicle.

BTW side steps on a MY12 AB require you lose the factory side skirt kit for the regular L322 one or there are select overfinch copy side skirts (about $800 USD shipped) which allow the steps to fit and give the original AB look. Regular ABs with side steps lose the side skirts for a normal L322 side valance. If you do the install yourself you can get everything ready to install (except paint on the valances) for under $3,000 USD.
Wao! From what you are saying I think I will strongly rethink my desire of a side step. Probably consider a fixed version if possible or just do without any at all. I can't ruin that standard AB looks. Hey thanks for the cool comments on AB and ownership. Am glad am in line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice! Make sure you take pix upon its arrival. The color combo is superb. I think I may have stumbled upon it while it was for sale...it's just a very striking and unique color combo.

Congrats and welcome!
Thanks CaifanSC! I really look forwards to when it arrives and "crawls out" of the 40' container its sailing in, parked with three other cars. Rest assured I hope to get some cool photos to upload here.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to be a robotics engineer for the company that supplied paint shop plant and equipment to the car industry including the Solihull Land Rover where I spent some time back in the late 90's and early 00's, the AB are no more "hand assembled" than anything else.
My MY12 AB has signed stickers in the interior as for who assembled those specific parts. My other 2 L322s did not have this: neither MY06 and MY12SC. Perhaps your interpretation of "Hand assembled" differs from the definition we've all been given. Caifan SC's has custom badging for his AB due to special paint colors and LR explained to him these were done on a different production line than normal L322s.

Given upto 12 years had passed from when you were in the factory, production could certainly have changed from P38s and early L322s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Datafoo, thanks for the information. Surely I will like to see one of those signed panels. Another feature exclusive to ABs. It surely feels good to know. ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I would imagine that L322 from the standard production line were diverted for AB specific interior items that were "hand assembled" since it wouldn't make sense to have an automated line for just a few AB's each year. I do like the leather headliner of the AB. But the only low miles AB I could find in a color I liked, had a poorly fixed dent in the rear hatch, curb rash on every wheel, and the area under the rear seats was full of Skittles and other kid food. Just seemed like a stereotypical soccer mom car not well looked after. My non-AB was in better shape and that mattered more to me. But if I had found all I was after in an AB, I would have snapped it up.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That is an interesting thought. Other than that being eons ago in auto production lives, if you traveled in the realm of robotics, even then, that would not likely put you anywhere near where the "hand-assembly" areas might be, by definition; would it? Or did you have free rein?
I'd expect that even if you were a Land Rover assembly line employee of the time, unless you worked in the "hand-assembly" area, you wouldn't see it.
And of course, if they had your products in the area where the special goodies were added to the otherwise production line vehicle, those bespoked additions wouldn't have been installed by hand then.
Or else they are lying..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE
Hello everyone, please bare with me.my car has still not arrived. New ETA is now said to be July the 13th (Next week Monday). Hopefully, it should be through with the Customs processing during next week as well.

I can't wait.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts