RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. Just purchased my first Land Rover, its a 1997 Range Rover P38a SE 4.0 (136K). Currently it is all stock, goal is to moderately modify the height for additional ground clearance while retaining EAS system. Rover will be a daily driver with occasional weekend back road retreats.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You can reprogram the EAS heights to make it higher but no matter how high the suspension is, the diffs will still be the same height from the ground so the clearance won't change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The P38 has a hidden height (automatic) for off road, and that's the best you can get if you want to keep EAS (recommended).
As Richard_G says you'll always have the diffs heights.
If you really intend to go off road with your P38, consider some undercarriage protections first, and remember that differential block is automatic, that may put you in some problematic situations.
P38 has a mind of it's own, be sure you'll understand the electronics of it, or find someone who does!
WELCOME TO THE FANTASTIC WORLD OF RANGE ROVER P38

·
Registered
245 Posts
"differential block is automatic"
You mean the viscous coupling that distributes torque between front and rear axles? Maybe you could explain what problems you think may occur? I have driven my stock 2000 offroad and so far have kept up with all the Defenders, Discos and LR3s in my club.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"differential block is automatic"
You mean the viscous coupling that distributes torque between front and rear axles? Maybe you could explain what problems you think may occur? I have driven my stock 2000 offroad and so far have kept up with all the Defenders, Discos and LR3s in my club.
...And left behind the tricked out Toyota's and Jeeps. You gotta represent out there!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I say this as a daily driver of a stock P38 for 4 years that also weekend 4x4's out by Rainier and the Cascades...

If this is your first P38 talking of modifying the suspension is something that should wait until you better understand the vehicle, and that point I don't think you'll feel it necessary. It would be better to change all fluids, including the gear oil in the diffs, replace all the yellow and green relays under the hood, the circuit board too if you can swing it, and the fuel pump. Also the battery / alternator need to be good. Don't assume - you need a baseline. Do that and you've sidestepped most of what people on here complain about. :) I can provide you cheap US links if you want them.

32" BFG All Terrain KO2 or Hankook All Terrains and a stock P38 will ford rivers and cross mountains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's advise. I obviously have a lot of continuous research to do here. Until then I'll just enjoy driving this thing around.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
According to the instructor at the Land Rover off road school at Solihull, the Range Rover on EAS is the best off roader they make, and he should know...... Admittedly, that was in 2003 when I was there and the P38 had only just ceased production but the later ones are supposed to be even better. Don't butcher it, just enjoy it as it is.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would also recommend replacing your fuel pump as they can fail without warning and you will not be able to pick one up at your local auto parts store. I bought an Aitex E3270 pump on Amazon for my 1998 that I previously owned. Another thing to consider is replacing the drivers side door latch before the microswitches fail and your engine is immobilized. I know of 3 P38s with immobilized engines because of drivers door latches.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would also recommend replacing your fuel pump as they can fail without warning and you will not be able to pick one up at your local auto parts store. I bought an Aitex E3270 pump on Amazon for my 1998 that I previously owned. Another thing to consider is replacing the drivers side door latch before the microswitches fail and your engine is immobilized. I know of 3 P38s with immobilized engines because of drivers door latches.
the in tank fuel pump for many different GM trucks and vans between 95 and 97 is an e3270.

still better to buy online, they’re like $5

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did one of the airtex units about 10 years ago and got me thru about 90,000 miles. When it died I bought an aftermarket oem unit with sender for about 75.00 of eBay. Been going 3 years now or so...can’t say for sure as i sold the rangie a few months back. I know the airtex unit required me to turn the key on and let run for about 5 seconds to pressurize the system before I could start it.

complete unit https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Range-Rover-95-98-Fuel-Pump/272950686463?fits=Year:1998|Model:Range+Rover&hash=item3f8d20f2ff:g:qc4AAOSwWv5aFntk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts