RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I just wanted to share some pics of my 1999 P38 Callaway. I got a killer deal ( in my eyes). Traded my 2001 Toyota Sequoia for this beauty! I thought I loved my Sequoia until I got this. Now I wouldn't own anything but a Land Rover!

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Looks like a real beauty mate!
Welcome to the addiction.

Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure is an addiction! My wife pretty much hates it, but I love it! So she can zip along in her Lexus but I'm much happier in my Rover! Thanks for the reply.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Where did you purchase it at?
I was looking at Callaways a while back when I was thinking about selling ours and saw quite a few.
Feel free to post up in the P38 section too, we aren't a bad bunch in there....

Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do that. I actually traded a 2001 Sequoia for this Callaway. My in laws bought it from a guy in Santa Fe and planned on leaving it at their place in Mexico. They found out that the Sequoia would be easier to maintain there so we swapped. Also though a Rover might bring some attention from those they would rather not be noticed by, if you know what I mean. I feel I got the better end of the deal!!!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Sounds good to me!
Congrats on the Callaway, which is one of the nicest models of P38 around IMHO.

Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Spent a few hours on it today. Started with the cruise control which I found out the vacuum line wasn't even attached to the brake switch! Noticing that most of the rubber is needing replacement, many of the line are cracking. Also had to replace some of the lines on the EAS since I was loosing a small bit of air. Not a real problem but wasted a bit of the 6mm line I purchased learning how much heat it could take. Hopefully soon I will have all systems working as they should. Especially the A/C !!! It's starting to get a bit hot already and I dread facing the summer heat here without that!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Shoot Scotty a PM with anything you need, or email him at his website.
www.socalusedroverparts.com
What is wrong with the HVAC exactly?

Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first thing I noticed when I got it was that I could hear the blower motors working but no air out of the vents. Then at times the blowers would not work at all, and then yesterday out of nowhere it was working just fine. A while back I was inspecting the pollen filters and noticed that when I wash my vehicle quite a bit of water goes right into the plenum where I saw the blower fans. Figured this could lead to premature failure of those motors. That make sense to you? I'm new to Rovers but that's what it seemed like to me.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Sounds like a thorough cleaning is needed IMHO.
You can get to the motors with a little dash removal and fiddling about. You could also try to spray them through the hole where the pollen filters go. I have never seen water in mine though....
So when it was working, did it operate correctly? Any symbols on the HVAC display besides numbers etc? If a blend motor failed the start up test, it will throw the check book symbol on the display. If no faults, then I would be looking at some loose duct work behind the dash.

Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it seemed to. I was getting some airflow through the vents as I thought it should but now it does not. I do have the book showing also. I really need to get a code reader I believe since the nearest RR dealer is about 300 miles away. A bit too far just to have some faults checked out.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Pick yer poison.....
http://blackbox-solutions.com/products.html

I have an old MSV, and it has worked as advertised in the years I have had it.
You could remove the HVAC ecm and send it to someone to read the codes too though, done that before myself for people. The MSV's are locked to a vin, so you have to get creative at times to help someone else out.
Without knowing the codes there is no way if knowing what went wrong....
Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking at getting a Hawkeye diagnostic tool. Would this be similar to what you are describing?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I would stay away from the Hawkeye deal. They are slow to update their stuff, and you need extra stuff to make it all work right. Research in the diagnostic forums.
Blackbox isn't perfect, but they have a proven product that flat out works in my experience. They are the one who others copy etc.

Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, sounds good. Thank you for the heads up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts