RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im new to the site and Im in need of a little advice lol. Ive always been a fan of Range Rovers but the horror stories have always scared me away. Even though Ive heard numerous bad things about the vehicle, I still desire to own one. Currently the RRS is my favorite. Here in Houston , everyone seems to own a Range Rover which is usually something that would steer me away from a vehicle but it makes me curious to find out why they're so popular. I currently own a 2008 Lexus RX350 that is problem free and requires very little maintenance but I feel like a soccer mom (no offense) . I think its time for me to finally get the suv ive always wanted, a Range Rover. Recently I ended up on a flooded street so i had to drive really cautiously so that I wouldnt kill the engine but the person behind me raised the suspension on their RRS and zoomed right past me without a worry 8) . After seeing that, I then felt like a needed a more rugged suv but still luxurious. I know the maintenance is more expensive but im fine with that. I wont be doing any off- roading, just driving through an occasional flood maybe lol. It would sort of be my "weekend car" . The full sized HSE seems a little too big, but the Sport HSE seems just right for my driving style (Im a bit heavy footed).
Which Range Rover would you guys suggest and why? The full sized RR HSE or the RRS HSE? ALL RESPONSES ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! :D

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,456 Posts
832 calling 713...

Indeed the RRS is perfect for our Houston floods - wish we had more of them!

But even better than that, it's great for beach runs thu deep water, mountain trails and the spirited drive on the highway. Depending on how much love you have for your local corner gas station...the HSE will give you slightly better mileage than the S/C, but the S/C will give you plenty of get up and go.

If you ever get the urge to learn to drive off road in controlled conditions, join the HLRC and we'll be glad to teach you how to use your RRS in easy offroad conditions...you may then get the bug to take it to Colorado, Utah, or even Big Bend.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is my experience for 2 month ownership ,I purchased HSE 08 ,so far no troubles what so ever ,I drive it to work ,conferences ,dates ,but I take the ugly Camry for the labor work like grocery ,shopping ,haircut etc .
I am not big fan of off roading but If I know somebody who can take me I would go ;
the car is so smooth on roads and it takes off at traffic light really fast and I can see cars in my mirror struggling ,so I don`t think I would need suprecharged one in future if I need to upgrade .
I don`t think it is a guzzler car too ,I had G Cherokee it was a real guzzler ,
as far as size goes ,I am an average sized ,single ,sport is appropriate for me ..I don`t think of large body RR is good for me at this time .
RRS is attractive car and couple days ago I felt it paid off its expensive price when a gentleman at Starbucks , came buy and complimented my car and said
Range rover ha ,hard to see on the roads ..but whoever has it ,it tells alot ...
Good luck ! :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PJPR01 said:
832 calling 713...

Indeed the RRS is perfect for our Houston floods - wish we had more of them!

But even better than that, it's great for beach runs thu deep water, mountain trails and the spirited drive on the highway. Depending on how much love you have for your local corner gas station...the HSE will give you slightly better mileage than the S/C, but the S/C will give you plenty of get up and go.

If you ever get the urge to learn to drive off road in controlled conditions, join the HLRC and we'll be glad to teach you how to use your RRS in easy offroad conditions...you may then get the bug to take it to Colorado, Utah, or even Big Bend.
LOL thats going to be one of the first things I look forward to doing when I get it. I can hardly wait to run it through the water. Off rading sounds like fun. As far as the gas stations, im not really a fan. Have you had any problems with your RRS?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shrek said:
Here is my experience for 2 month ownership ,I purchased HSE 08 ,so far no troubles what so ever ,I drive it to work ,conferences ,dates ,but I take the ugly Camry for the labor work like grocery ,shopping ,haircut etc .
I am not big fan of off roading but If I know somebody who can take me I would go ;
the car is so smooth on roads and it takes off at traffic light really fast and I can see cars in my mirror struggling ,so I don`t think I would need suprecharged one in future if I need to upgrade .
I don`t think it is a guzzler car too ,I had G Cherokee it was a real guzzler ,
as far as size goes ,I am an average sized ,single ,sport is appropriate for me ..I don`t think of large body RR is good for me at this time .
RRS is attractive car and couple days ago I felt it paid off its expensive price when a gentleman at Starbucks , came buy and complimented my car and said
Range rover ha ,hard to see on the roads ..but whoever has it ,it tells alot ...
Good luck ! :thumb:
Oh cool. Congrats on the purchase. It's one of the best looking suvs out there! I have a Chevy Impala that I would drive to work and I would drive my RRS on weekends, dates, and trips etc. It would be my "fun car" . Ive test driven the RRS HSE, RRS S/C, and the full sized RR HSE. I love all of them but im 5'11 and 160lbs with no kids lol so the RRS seems perfect for me as well! :dance:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Go ahead , use, LOL, one more time I dare you, WTF. Better yet, sign off with an obnoxious, "best".
Are you giggling or WTF?
Maintain a straight face for a sec, then ask you debutant question.

No offense but quit it with LOLs you're buggin'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rafa said:
Go ahead , use, LOL, one more time I dare you, WTF. Better yet, sign off with an obnoxious, "best".
Are you giggling or WTF?

Ok RAFA, I created the post to gain useful information to help with my decision. This isn't a dating site yo. Oh yeah I almost forgot LMFAO :lol: Now if you don"t have any helpful info pertaining to the specific questions that I asked then don't bother posting. No offense :D

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,456 Posts
713RangeRover said:
LOL thats going to be one of the first things I look forward to doing when I get it. I can hardly wait to run it through the water. Off rading sounds like fun. As far as the gas stations, im not really a fan. Have you had any problems with your RRS?

104k miles...almost 4.5 years, best SUV I've owned...just normal routine maintenance, and a few items replaced - air compressor (80K miles, alternator (104K miles), a few sway bar bushings...but all normal stuff.

Great ride...loads of fun...

·
Registered
670 Posts
713RangeRover said:
rafa said:
Are you giggling or WTF?

Ok RAFA, I created the post to gain useful information to help with my decision. This isn't a dating site yo. Oh yeah I almost forgot LMFAO :lol: Now if you don"t have any helpful info pertaining to the specific questions that I asked then don't bother posting. No offense :D

Ok 713, Touche!

I guess you're right but the repeated lols where, so, bugging. My apologies, welcome to the forum grl.

Rafa

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rafa said:
713RangeRover said:
rafa said:
Are you giggling or WTF?

Ok 713, Touche!

I guess you're right but the repeated lols where, so, bugging. My apologies, welcome to the forum grl.

Rafa
Thanks. So Rafa, what's your take on the RRS HSEvs RR HSE? And what does grl stand for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PJPR01 said:
713RangeRover said:

104k miles...almost 4.5 years, best SUV I've owned...just normal routine maintenance, and a few items replaced - air compressor (80K miles, alternator (104K miles), a few sway bar bushings...but all normal stuff.

Great ride...loads of fun...
*roading

WoW ok . Sounds like we have a winner. I'll start my search. Thanks for the helpful insight.

·
Registered
670 Posts
GRL stands for girl.
As far as your question, a couple of months ago we shopped around for a new car for my wife, we drove an RR HSE and noticed that while amazing, it wasn't as nimble as my RRS. It felt a bit more boatie and Suburvan like, for some reason. I myself love my RRS for the fact that it drives a little stiffer and it seems more agile than the RR HSE we drove.
I didn't really see a major size advantage on the straight RR but kind of loved the improved interior and finishes over my RRS.

Hope that helps, but when in doubt get the RRS, I think you'll be happy.

Rafa

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
713RangeRover said:
Which Range Rover would you guys suggest and why? The full sized RR HSE or the RRS HSE? ALL RESPONSES ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! :D

Hi Grl,
If it helps here in Michigan the girls drive the sport, and the men that full fat version. Hehehe....sorry it's true.

Regards, Megan

·
Registered
250 Posts
Fellow 713'er here. Unfortunately, I didn't have such a good experience with my 06 RRS that I bought new. I sold it in Jan 2010 to a local fellow and I'm sad to say that I was relieved to see it go. It was by far the most comfortable SUV I've driven but just the little problems I had was enough to make me sell it.

If you want to own one, I highly recommend getting one that is certified

Edwin

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
TripleE said:
Megan said:
here in Michigan the girls drive the sport, and the men that full fat version.
What! People buy foreign cars there? :lol:
...only if they either hale from foreign lands, live in BHam or Bloomfield, or are the type of person that utilises 2 parking spots at once for fear of local reprisals. I, my dear, am all three. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rafa said:
GRL stands for girl.
As far as your question, a couple of months ago we shopped around for a new car for my wife, we drove an RR HSE and noticed that while amazing, it wasn't as nimble as my RRS. It felt a bit more boatie and Suburvan like, for some reason. I myself love my RRS for the fact that it drives a little stiffer and it seems more agile than the RR HSE we drove.
I didn't really see a major size advantage on the straight RR but kind of loved the improved interior and finishes over my RRS.

Hope that helps, but when in doubt get the RRS, I think you'll be happy.

Rafa
Im actually a guy. I started out wanting a full sized RR but when I test drove it I didnt like it as much. I too noticed it was more agile. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Megan said:
713RangeRover said:

Hi Grl,
If it helps here in Michigan the girls drive the sport, and the men that full fat version. Hehehe....sorry it's true.

Regards, Megan
Im a guy so I was initially drawn to the full sized RR as well but Im what I guess you would call an agressive driver so the sport seemed to fit my style of driving a little better but I do like the amount of room the full sized has. Another factor that made me lean more towards the RRS is the numerous stories ive heard about the suspension issues of the RR. Around houston Ive seen several full sized RR extremely low in front and high or normal in the rear. At first I thought it was just the position that the drivers preferred but Im finding out it was actually suspension failure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts