RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just joined (again) after a bit of an absence.

So....hello.

I have previously owned a Classic and a P38, and now looking at either purchasing an L322 or an LR3.

Just not sure which one, though!!

I love my Rangies, but I can't help but think that an LR3 is more practical and reliable than the Rangie. I'm looking at 2003/4 L322 and 2005/6 LR3 (both the diesel versions).

The Rangie can be had for about 10K (AUD) less than an LR3.

The vehicle would be used mainly for school run and shops, weekend camping, occasional outback expeditions/long distance dirt driving and some light weight towing.

The terrain response in the LR3 looks great, but can the Rangie (pre terrain response) keep up? Does it too have 4 wheel traction and auto locking centre diff?

I have read a lot of horror stories regarding the TD6 Rangie gearbox. Are they really that bad? I live in Australia, so does anyone have any local knowledge of this, plus availability and price, if the 'box does wet itself.

Help and pointers would be appreciated.

Anyways, hello again

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
I had both LR3 TDV6 and RR Td6. The RR is much more reliable than the LR3, it is designed by BMW after all. I had many immobilizing failures on the LR3, none on the RR. I haven't missed the terrain response so far, it's mostly a gadget in my opinion. The automatic gearbox is OK (120 000km), but I did an oil and filter change at 100 000km. And you were joking about the 4 wheel traction, right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errr...not joking about 4 wheel traction. 8~

I know early P38s had no traction control and later models had rear wheel traction control.

Just want to make sure.

Any (consistent) horror stories with higher klm models?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
I was in a similar position to you a couple of years back and a Land Rover service manager told me that the Range Rover was a more mechanically robust pice of kit than a LR3 ( I know why should I trust him ) and since then it has been pretty good bar a few of the usual niggles and it is a really nice place to be. Yes, the RR has a centre diff lock and traction control off road , as for TR , apart from different engine maps for some setting there is nothing it dose that you can't do by pushing the right buttons on the dash board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts