RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to the forum and to Range Rovers. i am 34 from Florida. i am a diesel mechanic by trade for the last 15ish years. i have toyed with cars and bikes all my life. ok enough about that and onto my 1988 RR find. i was in the market for a jeep but really could not find an affordable project so i remember that a driver at my work use to drive this range rover for a few years till he " up graded " to a mini van. so i asked him about it one day and he said yes i still have it but its been setting for the last 6 months in my driveway come take a look at it and we will talk. so for 500 buxs i bought this 1988 range rover with 155,000 miles on it. it has the basic problems that i have been reading about. the AC dont work, the PS was bypassed, the sun roof leaks, the power seats dont move, the drivers side door handle does not work, it needs tires and the tail pip is rusted in half. the int is in good shape "needs to be cleaned" all except for the front leather seats they have seen better days. i dont know much about these but it runs and drives like a top. i have only had it 3 days and not enough time to really look it over. here are some QUICK phone pics. let me know your thoughts. i have a complete set of the aluminum RR wheels but i know there not year correct i would like to find the right wheels for it. the "spare" on the right front is year correct but i only have one of them. i am thick skinned so give it to me. thanks again and i am lookin forward from learning a thing or two about them and need all the help from the forum you can throw at me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats good news. :dance: like i said this is all new to me. but i must say while looking this over they have thought about everything, it seems this little thing is built to last and the only things that are broken on it is the stupid accessory items "that will cost a lot i am sure" .hell i was shocked when i seen a drain plug in the fuel tank. who does that anymore LOL. i dont really know what to do with it yet i was going to clean it up fix a few things and flip it but the more i look at it the more fun it looks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Neon.

Glad to hear you've joined my ranks of the last "Car of the Century" award - the most reliable classic Range Rover from 1988 !

I've got such an example as per your new ride & will be helpful to share a wealth of information if you so wish into the future ?

My Rangie was first purchased by a retired couple after the '87 stock market crash & I've owned/maintained it for 5 years now.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got the chance to look this over better today i just have not had time since i got it. there is some rust in the drivers side floor board not bad maybe 6x3 inches that i can see. there is no holes yet but it looks to be popping out and is alittle soft in that area. i think this happened because the moon roof leaks.also the battery box/ fender well is also pretty rotted. i am good with a welder but is this something thats usually a troubled area ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe I have a set of wheels for that in the garage. I'd have to check. The problem would be getting them to you. I want to say they're grey. Can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me know we can disuse shipping
wilderflouge said:
I believe I have a set of wheels for that in the garage. I'd have to check. The problem would be getting them to you. I want to say they're grey. Can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It'll be tomorrow before I can look. Currently at work. I'll let you know. You don't know anybody in town for the Indy 500 that could haul them back do you?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've got 2 sets of those grey wheels sitting in my garage, plus a set of the 5 spoke twisted ones. Problem is, I'm in SoCal...

Probably should move back to Florida....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dame everyone so far away haha. depending on what it would cost and what you would want for them i would cover the fees. i dont know anyone going to indy. but i have bought rims before.if you put one on top of the other face to face so they dont get scratched and duct tap the lip where they touch you can ship 2 at a time that way fedex. i dont know what kinda time you have or if you would even be willing to ship BUT i could REALLY use a set of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Neon,

Congrats. I just picked up an 88 myself. Definitely not for $500 though. Nice find. I am in Orlando so a lot closer. Unfortunately I have no spare parts. I have a lot of Series and 110 parts though. Anyway, my floorboards are on its way out too. Looking forward to see how you fix yours. I fabbed some new panels on my 110 out of stainless for the footwells. Wasn't too hard, just time consuming. Anyway, here are some pics of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very nice. mine by far is not that clean. i am not sure what route i am going to take on the floor i have accuse to a bone yard and my friend told me to cut the floor out of one of there SUVs out there and use it for patch panels. i might just do that and see how it goes. that is for sure a winter project i work out side all day long not to come home and work behind a welder in 95 degrees LOL. right now i have had fun burning up the local trails with it. even know it needs work it sure is tough i have not been nice to it and it keeps on ticking.
MUDSUX said:
Neon,

Congrats. I just picked up an 88 myself. Definitely not for $500 though. Nice find. I am in Orlando so a lot closer. Unfortunately I have no spare parts. I have a lot of Series and 110 parts though. Anyway, my floorboards are on its way out too. Looking forward to see how you fix yours. I fabbed some new panels on my 110 out of stainless for the footwells. Wasn't too hard, just time consuming. Anyway, here are some pics of mine.

·
Registered
543 Posts
By the way boys.

See of you can get your hands on a few spray cans of Fish-o-line oil ! Comes in handy for protecting the Rangies from rusting ?

If there's any helpful tips or assistance we can give each other to keep our Classics together-'Hear Ye' to a mighty Range Rover.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

P.S. We must all love the season 14, episode 6 edition of U.K.'s "Topgear" TV show as they say it's their best test event ever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
great video lol. i needed that. i have been beating on her for the past few days and for the last 5 hours today with some freinds. i must say that it really takes a beating and all the mudders could not believe some of what it was going though. i guess they have never seen a RANGE ROVER in action but to tell you the truth neither have i. on the road she shakes rattles and rolls but in the mud and dirt she stands strong LOL. i dont know if i have the money to really save her and get her road worthy but she is alot of fun in the woods. :dance: its the best 500 buxs i have spent. i changed the oil and coolant, greased her up and took her out this is all i have done to her so far.
MUDSUX said:
Here you should watch this if you haven't seen it yet. Freakin hilarious.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gea ... 726802.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do have a set of 5 wheels. Grey. 3 prong. I pulled one out. Sprayed it w the hose. Wiped it w a rag. Took a picture. I think they're all in pretty good shape. Not perfect though. PM me your email and I'll send you a pic of the one I pulled out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PMed ya. i honestly only need three but will take the set of you dont wanna break them up. lets talk
wilderflouge said:
I do have a set of 5 wheels. Grey. 3 prong. I pulled one out. Sprayed it w the hose. Wiped it w a rag. Took a picture. I think they're all in pretty good shape. Not perfect though. PM me your email and I'll send you a pic of the one I pulled out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts