RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very strange overheating issue with my 2006 Sport...Everything was fine as of yesterday, today I get in the car and drive off, and within 10 minutes the needle goes to red, I immediately notice this and stop the car, and pull over. As soon as I pulled over I see the needle going back to center, while the engine was still running!!! It goes back to normal temp and while I was checking everything under the hood, viscous fan was running as it should, but no hot air, it was normal temp outside air (I thought maybe the thermostat is not opening hence the air is not hot), as soon as I get back on the road within 30-60 seconds, the gauge needle back to hot zone...
I let the car cool down and then I open the coolant res. to check for oil in the water and everything looks good, so thank God no blown Head Gaskets...Is it me or is this a strange overheating problem? Should I have the dealer change out the thermostat? I dont have a very good opinion of my dealership here otherwise I would have already taken the car there...
Another question is , how do I bleed the air out of the coolant system? Maybe there are air bubbles in there that prevent circulation?

Any help is appreciated in advance!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
802 Posts
Sounds like a grounding/temp sensor wire issue to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked to make sure its not the sensor...additionally steam comes out of the coolant reservoir when I try to open the bleed screw...still confused as to why it would do that...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I also think the temp sensor is faulty / shorting to ground intermittently as the wild swings in engine temperature you noticed wouldn't make much sense otherwise, assuming your coolant level is good and there are no leaks anywhere, of course. You really need to take the car in to read the stored trouble code via diagnostics and pinpoint whether it's a bad cooling thermostat, temperature sensor or wiring. See attachment.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts