RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I purchased a set of 21” l405 supercharged rims to replace my 22” stormers on my 12 SC. Dealership said they would put on for the cost of a rotation since the tires are on the rims and just need to be mounted. My question is this how does the TPMS work? Is there something to look for on the current rims to see if they came with the sensor or will the dealer take off the old wheels and put on the ones? I just don’t want to have them put on the new wheels and be stuck with the TPMS warning all the time or be stuck with a huge bill for new sensors...

thanks in in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Hey everyone,

I purchased a set of 21” l405 supercharged rims to replace my 22” stormers on my 12 SC. Dealership said they would put on for the cost of a rotation since the tires are on the rims and just need to be mounted. My question is this how does the TPMS work? Is there something to look for on the current rims to see if they came with the sensor or will the dealer take off the old wheels and put on the ones? I just don’t want to have them put on the new wheels and be stuck with the TPMS warning all the time or be stuck with a huge bill for new sensors...

thanks in in advance for the advice.
There isn't really a way to check if they have the sensor without breaking the bead of the tire and looking at the valve stem inside to verify it has the unit. BUT. And this is a huge BUT some sensors have "TPMS" written very very small on the valve stem itself where the cap would cover look around it and you may see the words written. If you dont then the only other way to check for it would be to break the bead and verify. The dealer will not swap it over, they would install new ones which would cost the price of the TPMS sensor plus unmounting and remounting the tires along with rebalancing them. Also the dealer would have to reprogram the 4 TPMS sensors to your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If the L405 the wheels came from is from a 2014 model or later it won't matter if they have TPMS or not since 2014 was the transition year from 315 Mhz TPMS frequency used up to that point to the 433 Mhz used today. You should have a 315 Mhz system in a 2012 and will have to get new, or transfer your old TPMS sensors over to the new wheels.

If the L405 is a 2014 with a VIN lower than EA140910 then the TPMS sensors are 315Mhz, EA140911 and up are 433Mz.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys it was my buddies truck that the wheels I bought off of him came from so at least I have that info accessible. His was a 2014. I take it there are threads to be found on here of how to transfer the tpms to the new rims?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Check his VIN first, maybe his is a real early one. But TPMS's are easy to change, they have a metal sleeve over the outside tire nipple with flats down near the wheel. You just take the cap off and unthread that sleeve after the tire is off, and they just push back into the wheel. You can get Ford TPMS sensors (or almost any generic brand as long as they are 315 Mhz) and just install new 315 Mhz ones in the new wheels for about 150 bucks for the set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts