1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Waterpump, thermostat: Still have the book icon and now throwing code P4055

Good evening/morning/afternoon! Gents,

So I am still trying to track down some issues with my P38. (2000 4.6 HSE, 139,000ish miles.) I know I have posted a bit on the truck, but to speed things along; I am the third owner of this truck, it is more apparent that whomever owned her before me was hell bent on driving her into the ground with minimal if non-exisitant maintance.

So far I have changed the following: Waterpump, serp belt, therm and oil change. Service Engine light came on, went to AutoZone and got the P4055 code. Popped the gas door tightened the bugger down and I think that helped. Gas gauge showed an 1/8th of a tank, after tighten and restart the 1/2 tank I knew was there registered. However I do know my thermal plate is leaking like a sieve. ( I have one on order, should be here by the end of the week.) Here is my quetion: "What else should I be looking for that would cause the book to keep showing up? I get decent heat, if not hot heat out of the truck. As long as coolant is full, the A/C blow freakin cold as all get out. But I still have the ****ed book! Showing up. Oh! Almost forgot, the MAF is brand new. And I have not had a chance to pull and check the O2 senors around aroud the cats.

Any input would be awesome! I have done a lot of searching and reading, but not coming up with much to go on.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Re: New Waterpump, thermostat: Still have the book icon and now throwing code P4055

The chequebook symbol on your climate comtrol panel has nothing to do with your engine operations or engine codes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: New Waterpump, thermostat: Still have the book icon and now throwing code P4055

Thanks RRToadHall, So it looks like I am tracking down two issues: the 4055 code, which I can understand. As I said my thermal plate it leaking pretty bad, and there is the leak behind the oil pan to be addressed. However, I am at a bit of a loss to muck out the issue with the book icon. Maybe I am not wording my searches correctly. At any rate, thanks. Gives me something to go on.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

Hi

The book icon shows there is something wrong with the system. You can have the codes of the HEAVAC ECU read to see what it is. Changes are that it is one of the blend motors, but it could also be that your AC system is low on refridgerant or one of your fans has a problem.

Best regards

Jos

·
Registered
896 Posts

After you change your gas cap and P0455 keeps coming back after the tank dips below 1/2 tank, I will bet you it is your purge valve. I bought a hyundai purge valve off amazon (do a search) and it fixed it for me. The only thing I noticed now is that it seems to click a bit, but the code is not thrown.

As far as your book symbol with an otherwise working ac/heating system and no blend motor issues, it may be your coolant temp sensor that sits on the coolant pipe behind the center console. Again, do a search and you will find how to replace it. Its cheap and fixed my book symbol after chasing it for 3 years. I just completed a 2500 mile trip into Baja with no codes/symbols thrown on the vehicle!

I would also recommend you lube your u-joints (can't stress this enough) and change oil in diffs and transfer case. A guy at work just had his front driveshaft explode on his disco because the previous owner never lubed the ujoints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts