RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I have driven my 2001 Disco II for many years now and despite her age, she has only logged 133,000 miles and I've been quite happy with the car. I was lucky enough to find a Rover mechanic (Rovers from all over the country actually come here) that treats me quite fairly and honestly and despite arguments to the contrary, the car has not been that expensive to maintain and has always been reliable.

Recently though, we've diagnosed a # 1 cylinder water jacket leak so her time is approaching. I have considered the purchased of another Land Rover, preferably a Range Rover or RR sport. However, he has cautioned me to the point of saying....don't buy anything with a 5.0 liter engine and don't buy a supercharged engine...they're crap. All I've seen on the boards are problems with the timing chain guides and while this tends to be a relatively expensive repair...are the engines really all that bad otherwise?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
Sounds like your mechanic is a bit of an alarmist. The 5.0 has been a tried and true workhorse with no real issues save for short period where the timing guides were an issue. There is a full directive tech bulletin and revised parts... again though it was short time period. The TSB lists the VIN impacted so it is very easy to skip an example with guide issues. As far as the SC versions the nose cones have to be service and there is alot more under the hood . If you are coming from a 4.6 DII you will certainly have no complaints with a standard 5.0.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's funny, I'm in Orlando and called him before I bought my 2012 to check on price of timing chain guides and he said he couldn't do it but not to buy the 5.0 specifically the SC version. I called the LR dealership in town and they were able to give me the full service history on the one I ended up purchasing which showed the timing chain stuff had been done under warranty so I went ahead and bought it because from what I've read that is the only major issue with these. You could try giving them a call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts