Range Rovers Forum banner

New TSB on TPMS sensors

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Frisco_TX_RRS 
#1 ·
Interesting new bulletin on TPMS valve sensors. Apparently, they can break and leak air when removing dust caps or checking tire pressure? What is interesting is that Land Rover is instructing its dealers to replace all 4 or 5 sensors, not just the broken one(s)... :think: There must be an issue with the sensors installed on current cars (06 through 09, see VIN range in the bulletin), otherwise I don't see why Land Rover would go through the trouble of replacing all of them, considering their cost and the labor involved.

Note (this was issued earlier as a Special Service Message), no metal caps on TPMS sensors! If you remove the plastic dust cap and put a metal one on, your warranty on the sensors is instantly void.

Attachments

#6 ·
#7 ·
#10 ·
You're not missing anything, its only a light to provide idiots who want to drive 25 miles with a flat with a second opinion as to what the loud whump whump noise is.

#11 ·
true. it's really not that much. i think it fires when you're as little as 5 lbs off the recommended psi. beeps and displays prominently when you're aired down. it'd be at least more helpful if there was some indication of which tire it's complaining about b/c some times i've noticed it can be a little fickle.

#12 ·
I noticed, in the bulletin, that it does not account for re-balance of the tire after installation of the new sensor. I would suspect that the dealer will require the customer to pay for the re-balance, not cheap. And since the tire needs to be removed, a re-balance is needed. Helps up the dealer income.

Also, be careful what you wish for. My low tire light comes on in the winter with only a slight 4 pounds difference due to temperature. Pain in the BUT!

#13 ·
Thanks for the info.

I have the TPMS on my 2006 as well as some other 2007 features. My car is Sept 06 build with delivery in Feb 07. Probably one of the last 2006's off the line.

#14 ·
bop08 said:
I noticed, in the bulletin, that it does not account for re-balance of the tire after installation of the new sensor.
The referenced workshop manual instructions for low tire pressure sensor replacement call for routine spin balance of the wheel at the end of the procedure, so they should not charge extra for balancing.

The TSB forgets to mention that, should the full size spare tire sensor also be replaced, driving the car all the way to Timbuktu will not cause the TPMS module to "learn" that sensor, since each new transmitter needs to roll as a driving wheel for a certain amount of time, at a certain sustained speed, to be detected. I guess the dealer will figure it out on its own.

#15 ·
i wonder if they'll cover us on 18s. i did notice an "aftermarket tires" remark on an older service write up.

#20 ·
gooseyloosey said:
I should probably remove my Tireflys before taking the Sport in for servicing then?

Paul, if you're looking for a retrofit kit, I've heard Orange makes a nice one for about $150.

http://www.orange-electronic.com/eng/07product/products01_01p409s.html

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19487
Had a further look at this again, overall seems like a slick setup, but then you have to run the wire to a cig lighter to get 12V juice. Wonder why the display unit cannot also be run on a lithium battery like the sending units. Would be nicer if I could get this hotwired somehow and run the wiring back thru the console...otherwise more cables dangling around.

Decisions...decisions...

#21 ·
got mine replaced today. i didn't have any of the required symptoms noted in the TB but i did express my concern that if something like this were to happen while off-roving it would be a disaster.

i also take care of all the techs and they know me by name so they had no issue writing up the proper comments on the paperwork to ensure they were replaced under warranty.

again, i really love this site. if it wasn't for this forum i wouldn't be armed with the right information. knowledge = power :dance:

thanks all!

#22 ·
It seems that every car company has to get the kinks out their TPMS. This will tell you when you use the spare that the TMPS isn't working and which wheel it is. But will it tell you which tire is low, nope got check all of them. It very susceptible to temp changes too. The dealer advice is to put 4 pounds of pressure in all 4 tires and hope the light will go off someday. They will fix the bugs next year like everyone else. I did get an unexpected nail and which the service person produced the other day as I was about to have a stroke about the light. So I have to say it did it's job that day.

#24 ·
I'm told that it's within a couple of pounds of the recommended pressure printed on the door, which means they don't really know. I just wish it told you which tire. We had a hudge temp drop yesterday and the light did not come on so we are making progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.