RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RR MkIII now has 102,000 miles and recently had both front air struts replaced at RR dealership. I drew attention to "Trans. Failure Prog" code that appeared around 80,000 miles (they checked this out then but could not find the reason for message) though the truck has driven flawlessly until the above suspension issue. Prior to the suspension repair the dealer told me a new battery is required since my old one had a dead cell. I reluctantly agreed to a new replacement. I collected my repaired RR with "Trans. Failure Prog" error untouched and expecting the vehicle to drive in exactly the same manner except for a smoother ride. No chance! In drive, the transmission shifts up to 4th but does not engage 5th, Sport mode does not exist at all anymore though the dealer tells me "Trans. Failure Prog" renders Sport mode redundant though it was functioning OK prior to battery change! The dealer checked for error codes etc but found none and is unconvinced the transmission sticks in 4th. I reported 70 mph = 3000rpm and he says this is normal. Can someone confirm this please? If I'm correct in assuming 5th gear is not engaging does this point to a failing transmission?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Is your L322 petrol or diesel? I assume from the mileage that it's an '02-'05 (BMW engine) model?

When you say "In drive, the transmission shifts up to 4th..." you mean that it's upshifting through 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears and you can see/hear the engine revs dropping on each upshift? It's definitely not just staying in 4th gear the whole time and using the torque converter to get you away from stationary?

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
....and regarding the gearing, the '02-'05 4.4l V8 is geared at 23.6 mph/1000rpm in 4th (3.73 f/d ratio) and the 3.0l TD6 diesel at 21.4 mph/1000rpm (4.10 f/d ratio), based on a tyre rolling radius of 375mm.

At a true 70 mph, with the TC LUC engaged, the engine speed would therefore be 2970rpm (petrol) or 3270rpm (diesel).

Phil

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
So you have been driving with it in failsafe mode since 80k?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RRPhil said:
Is your L322 petrol or diesel? I assume from the mileage that it's an '02-'05 (BMW engine) model?

When you say "In drive, the transmission shifts up to 4th..." you mean that it's upshifting through 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears and you can see/hear the engine revs dropping on each upshift? It's definitely not just staying in 4th gear the whole time and using the torque converter to get you away from stationary?

Phil
Phil, This is a '02-'05 BMW gas engine and it is upshifting thru the gears and engine revs dropping correspondingly.

linuxfreakus said:
So you have been driving with it in failsafe mode since 80k?
Yes without any change in performance. The dealer didn't believe I could still drive in sport mode and I can't beleive the car is now sluggish in first gear and shudders occasionally shifting from 3rd to 4th. After Phils rpm vs speed statement I must be mistaken by my 5th gear issue.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts