RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully. So I will be replacing the trans this weekend (if life cooperates). I have been searching the forums for a while now as this is my first foray w/ major LR repairs. So far I have found this out:
four bolts inside the bellhouse connect the flywheel to torque converter.
it's best to pull trans & TC as one unit.
don't smash the trans pump when putting the TC on the new trans.
engine will pivot when removing the trans if not supported. (question-do I need to connect an engine puller or will a bottle jack & platform support it enough?)

Any thing else I should look out for from those who have been down this road before?

I'll try to take pics and post.

Rob

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I did mine I split the transfer box from g/box before removing, ie removed transfer box then g/box. both units are bl**dy heavy. I had a transmission jack and a big mate and would not have coped taking both boxes out together.

That was done with car on axle stands lying on my back - so if you are doing on a four poster with a big strong professional trans jack then you might be ok to remove as one lump - but I wouldn't.

Will be interesting to hear what some of the pros on here do `)

·
Registered
97 Posts
saying that it sucks to do it on the ground (not on a lift) is an understatement.

Make absolutely sure the Torq Converter is lined up, it can seem seated and not be.

check the flex plate for cracks

Do the engine rear main while it is apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts