RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name is Ryan Hansbarger. a couple of months ago i acquired a lovely 1991 Range Rover Classic. It has about 127,000 miles, runs and drives pretty well. There are not very many mechanical issues, the brakes could use a little work, but the rover is drive-able. I drive it on a regular basis. The electrical on the other hand haha is not in such convenient shape. I am new to Land Rovers, RAVE, and fully electric rides. Up until now, i have only owned cars with manual everything so all the electrics are new to me, especially mr. Lucas's. Ive tried to do some digging to see if my next couple of questions have already been answered, which im sure they have, i am just a terrible snoop. The most important issues are right now the diver side window does not work, and the driver side seat switch doesnt function. With the window ive done the most research, i know that the motor works, and the switches work also ive tested and switched the relays inside of the glove box next to the seats and they both work. Ive read a few things on the forums and heard a bit about a window motor ECU, but i dont know where to find it or test it, also ive checked all the fuses i can find and none are blown as of today. Im pretty sure there are probably fuses i dont know about, when i tried to look it up on RAVE i just came away more confused. Now with the seat switch, ive read of people wiring up there own to keep from buying a new one. Other than people saying they have done it and they used RAVE to do so i dont have much more to go on. Like i said before RAVE only left me with more questions than answers. Those are the most important electrical issues i have at this moment, there are others like the radio doesnt work properly and such but ill tackle that when i get there.

Thank you for reading, hopefully yall can give me a few answers. Im going to try to get a few pictures up when i get a chance/figure out how.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
RAVE won't be much help as it only started from the 94-95 models, you need the earlier 87-92 manual. The seat ECU was only fitted on cars with memory seats so the switch will have two extra green buttons and I don't think the memory function was fitted as early as 91. If you do have a memory seat ECU it will be bolted to the underside of the drivers seat. Electric window not working could be the motor has burnt out or the mechanism is jammed. Take the door panel off and see if the motor turns with power applied directly to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. I actually have the door panel off and the motor is out. Thats how i got it inspected, i just use a piece of wood to hold my window up right now. The window motor works, ive tested by pluging it into the rear door location and operating it from there. The switches work also, cause i moved them around each other too, but the driver side isnt working, the rear passenger side is starting to act up also, i was hoping they would be the same relay, but that is not the case. Are there any other relays or things like that in between the motor and the switch other than the ones in the glove box? Also it has a one touch window lift box, could that be the issue? Would i test that to see if it works?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
My 93 didn't have one touch windows and there's no sign of a box on the diagram for a 91 either. That suggests that it's something that has been fitted by a previous owner. Can it be easily bypassed?

The problem with the electrics on the Classic is that they started out with the wiring loom for the most basic version back in the late 60's. Over the years as more and more electrical toys were added, more bits were tacked onto the wiring so you'll have additional fuse boxes and relays scattered around anywhere they could find space to fit them. There's fuse boxes under the front seats, relays behind the front kick panels, etc as they had to put them somewhere.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If the window motors work and the switches work, there is a one touch controller under the glove box - that is likely the problem.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In the US, the one touch window switch ecu was part # PRC6859. It was on Range Rovers from 1990-9992. As Johnno42 said, it's located under the cubby box in the center console. Good working units are getting hard to come by. If you're good with a soldering gun you can alway pry open the ecu and look for bad solder joints. That could very well be the problem. Another thing to look at, especially in the door with the window held up by the block of wood it whether or not the metal window rail that is at the bottom of the window may have rusted so bad it no longer mates up with the regulator. Atlantic British says replacement window rails, they're not terribly expensive and on a 25 year old truck, not an uncommon failure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As above ,its just for the dd thru a relay but can easily wire it direct to the console switch for normal operation ,no relays between sw & motor . .Also the window support brackets rust out ive replaced all mine Grease the sliders too . If it jams motor will burn out .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay i will take a look at the ecu and see if i can figure out what the deal is, i dont think there is any issue with support brackets because the window goes up and down easily with just my finger strength. Ether way i will give them a good look over. Thanks for info everyone, id really like to get the window working again, im tired of having no door panel haha. Im assuming bypassing the the one touch box would be fairly easy. Cause honestly i dont care if have that, it doesnt matter. I will fiddle with it tomorrow, and maybe get a few good pictures and see what we get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i finally got a chance to mess with it today. I took the one touch lift ecu apart and looked at the circuit board and it there was an obvious bad spot. I cleaned the circuit board and fixed the damaged soder spot. Once i plugged it back in, the window motor was working again. So that is fixed, thanks for all info, i still have to fix the seat power switch but, it will have to wait for another day. I still have yet to get some good pictures, but i will put some up when i get them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts