RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Truly loving my RRS HSE Dynamic. its a 2015 plate but 2016 registered.

It seems I have a very basic infotainment, No InCar Play therefore no mirroring of Android, only an Aux and USB port, no Sim Card, plus the terrible sound.

Realistically what is the best possible infotainment upgrade / updates I should/could get from JLR or retrofit?

Again, total newbie to JLR so any help and guidance is welcome.
here's some pics to show what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
That’s about right. You don’t buy a Range Rover for the infotainment system they are pretty bad.

I replaced mine with the 10.25 Android unit that is in this thread :

and use it almost exclusively with CarPlay and really enjoy it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi RNunes - if you just want better sound (not with Android mirroring) , search on this site, there are instructions on how upgrade to Meridian system - not trivial. Otherwise you will need to go for the replacement head unit as previously mentioned. There is a forum on rrsport.co.uk as well, in case you haven't found that yet , but I have found that it is not as hands-on as this one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They were a buggy mess until around 19B last year. Now they work pretty decently.
I will agree they have gotten better now that they've issued updates for three years. Sadly its a case of going from simply unusable to just functional, not good by a stretch.
You still have to do a dance with it and not touch certain buttons at certain times and when it is working it is very laggy due to under powered processor and GPU.
Some how BMW is the only car maker with a decent infotainment system that just works. Really hope the next generation from JLR is much better.

I didn't by the RRS for infotainment but it really is a let down.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are you on 20A? I have really tried hard, but I was unable to cause any erratic behavior by pressing buttons early. On the P400e, calling the "My EV" screen early in the process was guaranteed to cause unwanted effects like muting the sat nav or the likes. All gone. Entering addresses is still laggy, but that's due to a (well, not-so-)background internet search for location matching the data you enter. I am a long time critic of the system since 18D, logged many errors and repeatedly bugged JLR to accept them as "concerns" (what they call their bugs), but 20A is really solid. Not iPhone-fast, but sufficient.

I don't like the BMW system nowadays, it somehow reminds my of Pioneer stereos of the 80ies with their playful, eye-candy overloaded screens and instrument cluster. But maybe I am just too old...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personal preferences play a big part in all of our perceptions on these systems for sure. BMW is a bit over the top in some of the graphics but it’s quick and the graphics are sharp. Its much more intuitive now 8 generations in.

I really like the looks and promise of the Duo touch pro but feel it was poorly executed software and hardware wise. It’s the reason JLR is at the bottom of every reliability ranking now that infotainment bugs are included in surveys.
Thank you for taking the time to bug them and report these issues. Most don’t and just dump the car.

I still have my 16 solely because of the duo touch pro. When I ride with my friends in there 18+’s I always ask how the Duo system is doing and it’s never a good story. That in addition to the numerous threads on here about problems means I’m waiting until the next generation. 1st world problems. It’s just disappointing they missed this great opportunity as infotainment has become really important to buyers. I’m sure it was a calculated decision on their part. I wasn’t there to see all the competing requirements.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personal preferences play a big part in all of our perceptions on these systems for sure. BMW is a bit over the top in some of the graphics but it’s quick and the graphics are sharp. Its much more intuitive now 8 generations in.

I really like the looks and promise of the Duo touch pro but feel it was poorly executed software and hardware wise. It’s the reason JLR is at the bottom of every reliability ranking now that infotainment bugs are included in surveys.
Thank you for taking the time to bug them and report these issues. Most don’t and just dump the car.

I still have my 16 solely because of the duo touch pro. When I ride with my friends in there 18+’s I always ask how the Duo system is doing and it’s never a good story. That in addition to the numerous threads on here about problems means I’m waiting until the next generation. 1st world problems. It’s just disappointing they missed this great opportunity as infotainment has become really important to buyers. I’m sure it was a calculated decision on their part. I wasn’t there to see all the competing requirements.
Yeah I had several BMWs / idrive generations prior to my RRS (2020) and agree that idrive is the best in the business. As someone else mentioned, JLR's system has been fine since 19B. Now that they are partnering with BMW for engines hopefully they'll consider buying infotainment systems from them as well. I think i've compensated/adjusted to it now and don't give it much though--mostly use CarPlay. I do give JLR some credit for the configurability of the instrument cluster- I think they give you more options than even Audi's famed virtual cockpit. That being said, it's a bit tedious using the menus but once you set it up it's nice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah I had several BMWs / idrive generations prior to my RRS (2020) and agree that idrive is the best in the business. As someone else mentioned, JLR's system has been fine since 19B. Now that they are partnering with BMW for engines hopefully they'll consider buying infotainment systems from them as well. I think i've compensated/adjusted to it now and don't give it much though--mostly use CarPlay. I do give JLR some credit for the configurability of the instrument cluster- I think they give you more options than even Audi's famed virtual cockpit. That being said, it's a bit tedious using the menus but once you set it up it's nice.
From what I understand the Pivi Pro infotainment in the new Defender is built with Qnx underneath which is unix based and not Android like the current In Control Touch Pro Duo. Android definitely needs powerful processors and Land Rover dropped the ball on that and it feels so slow and laggy. When we're used to current generation phones and iPads the benchmark for responsiveness is high. I have a 2018 SVR and I actually like Touch Pro Duo. If it was just snappy and never went blank on me (lower screen) I'd be pretty happy with it. I checked out an AMG G wagon earlier this year and was surprised how dated and cheesy looking their system looks. lots of gradients and shadows and awful icons. But it's probably more reliable than Land Rover's and that's what people notice. Anyway I think the next Sport will have the same Touch Pro Duo but Qnx underneath which will make it very stable and responsive. From all the bad publicity it would be amazing if they don't get it competitive at long last.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Future JLR cars will all have the Pivi. Touch Pro (Duo) is a zombie, the IT people at JLR mostly either left or were reallocated to Pivi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts