RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Rover world. I bought a '92 Classic 3.9 V8 with 104K mi. It's been sitting for six years and runs but needs some help. I'm not sure where to start. It needs the interior cleaned/new parts. Engine looks good and runs pretty well but needs general maintenance pretty bad. Paint pretty much just needs clear but does have rust mostly in inconspicuous places (inside doors etc.). Anyway, I don't know how 'authentic' I need to be with the paint, parts etc. and I don't really know where to start. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello and welcome! I'm in the same boat as you having purchased a 1990 recently with lots of odds and ends needing repaired or worked on. I would start by making a list of the necessities and write down what needs to be fixed in order of importance. Anything that might need immediate attention and then of course there's lots of maintenance. Lots and lots and lots of maintenance.

I'd recommend changing the fluids. All of them. Brake fluid, coolant, swivel housing oil, axles front and rear, transmission fluid with new filter and pan gasket, transfer case oil. As for other things perhaps check you ignition new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Clean your EGR. Inspect your belts. Check your pads and rotors. Make sure your windows work. Lots of things to think about on a car that is going on 20 years old.

Paint and interior are the easy parts. A good vacuuming goes a long way, as well as some leather treatment. I use microfiber towels for all my cleaning duties. You can pressure wash your engine if you cover your distributor cap and I'd probably cover your mass air flow too just for peace of mind. As for the paint it sounds like you need to find someone who can use a buffer with wool pad and decent rubbing compound. You'd be surprised how much you can bring paint back to live if you know what you're doing.

Hope that helps and good luck with your new Rover. If you're anything like me, you're going to need it! :lol:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Fill out your profile old chap, so we can see where in the world you are.

I would have a good look underneath and under the carpets to make the rust hasn't got too bad.

Also, what are you looking to do with the truck, daily driver, trailer queen, offroad warrior?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts