RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, thanks to everyone for the copious amount of information available on this site. I think i figured most of my problems out (RR one's only, psycholigical ones will take a different forum `) ).

So, i purchased a '91 Classic the other day for $500. Had no brakes whatsoever, runs like $h1t and has 175k miles. But hey...it was $500.
Fixed the brakes by bleeding and replacing the pump relay....thanks to this site. Now that I could drive it, it ran very hot...not in the red, but all but. More research on here, pulled the radiator to find fins were all plugged up..quick pressure wash put it back in. (by the way, i found you can pull the radiator without removing the fan...mainly because I couldn't) Test drive, still runs hot....bled the system..multiple times, checked thermostat..there wasn't one....flushed the coolant a couple of times and re-bled...test drive all it good. Onto the high idle...idled at 1500rpm...cleaned MAF, Stepper motor & breather thingies on tappet covers. Idle cam back down to 500-600. Sweeeet.

So onto my questions;

When i start it from cold, it takes a lot of cranking, but will eventually start. Hot starting is a hit and miss thing...sometime yes..sometimes no. Drives good, temp good, reasonable power for a high mileage motor. However, when i do the test drive it runs fine on the way out, but then when I pull over to do a u-turn and come to stop the check engine light comes on, looses power and starts to heat up. It doesn't matter how for I go...i've done 5, 10 and 30 mile test drives..always run good on the way out, but as soon as you stop...bang!! check engine light. It is throwing a code 48..stepper motor. I have one on order. My question is would the stepper motor cause the motor to heat up? It seems strange to me that I can drive it 30 miles and it doesn't heat up or throw the code untill I stop. Also, i found the distributor isn't tightened down..I'm picking up a timing light this weekend. At the moment the vacuum advance housing is pushed hard up clockwise against the engine. If it is in any other position it will not start. The dizzy doesn't seem to have moved after or during the test drive. Could timing be my temp problem? :think:

I believe the previous owner did no maintenance on the vehicle, i've never seen so much sludge in everything. I'll do a compression test this weekend to determine condition of head gaskets etc. Is it worth my while perservering with this engine? I've come across a 3.9l out of 95 disco with 125Kmiles on it for $400. I've owned a bunch of older high mileage vehicles in my time and understand why my wallet has spasms everytime I purchase one, but I'd like to try and get this thing to be a daily runnner for under $2k. Any thoughts/

Finally..sorry for this posting being so long.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
sounds like a possibility of a dirty fuel tank or the pick up screen in the tank is dirty and pluged. You stop the engine and no more suction allows the dirty to release. Take the test drive do the u turn and if it acts up pull over shut the engine off wait a few minutes and re-start the engine . If it runs normal your dropping the gas tank or see if your able to get tothe sending unit from inside the RRC.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
You'll spend 400$ on the head gasket project if you go that way. Newer motor for 400$ sounds good, but they are not easy to swap. So you have that going for you.

If you are sure your radiator is clear and such the heating might be a badly timed engine. But I'm not convinced of that. I had a hell of a time rodding my radiator out and finally gave up and just bought a new one and my problems went away with over heating as soon as I was done. This was right after a motor swap. Are you sure your water pump is functioning correctly?

The not starting/partial starting could be the ignition module. They are almost always retro fitted and moved OFF the distributor to a "cooler" place like a wheel well. It the module is getting hot it will eat the coil and cause you problems like you are describing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts