RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 1999 4.0 SE that needs TLC. Specific help tight now is a way to open the drivers door as BOTH handles are broken. Ideas? I’ll also be posting about other questions but this is the most critical!!!

thanks!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
First thing would be to try and get the door card off, I don't know if it is possible with the door closed. If you can get the door card off, you should be able to operate the latch by pulling the lever attached to either the inner or outer handle.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Before jumping to conclusions, I would investigate as to what exactly is broken. Is the wire connected to the indoor handle as well as to the outdoor handle displaced? Maybe the door lock is not fully disengaging. Maybe the door is superlocked.

Anyways, if the wire to the indoor/outdoor handle has come off for some reason, it is necessary to remove the door card as mentioned in the earlier post. However, although the procedure has been sucessfully done before by other members, can't be fun trying to get the door card off with the door closed.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I found it easier to take a sawsall to the lock catch instead of breaking the door card getting it off with the door closed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I’m going to start digging into it this weekend.

on another note, I’m curious how much one of these is worth? I got what I thought was a pretty good deal considering no wrecks and interior leather is in good shape, but curious as to anyone’s thoughts here. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
54 Posts
When mine was broken into, the outside latch was snapped and the internal door release cable was dislodged. A locksmith got the passenger door open with an air wedge and long trip-rod, to get me in. The door card is too close to the seat to get it off in one piece with the door shut. Not being as familiar as I am now with the door internals, I cut along the fabric portion of the door card to separate it. It might be possible to to bend the top half of the card out to get the wood cap off (there is a screw under the pull-off tweeter cover) and coat-hanger down to trip the latch. BTW, the 'card' is made of snappable polyurethane foam, so dont go too extreme. Use a plastic trim tool for the retaining clips or the heads will pull out of the foam.
I think for you an air wedge kit (ebay) on the passenger door would get you in, unless it has been superlocked, and hope the internal lever still works. Read your owners manual (download pdf) about superlocking, so you dont accidentally do it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
45 Posts
You can remove the passenger "ahem" driver seat by removing the 4 T50 torx bolts, it just tips out the way..

The issue you have is the screw that hides behind the tweeter can't be removed, and getting the card off involves some mangling, i had to go a bit medieval on mine when it superlocked!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts