RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just purchased an '06 RRS. Here's a pic from las sunday:

This picture was taken in SoCal. About 1 mile from the Mexican border and 45 minutes before the 7.2 earthquake (didn't notice the quake).

My question to you folks is: where's the best (cheapest) place to purchase the tow hitch receiver/trailer wiring harness? My local dealer charges ~$450 just for the receiver. I've calculated ~$524.4 (shipped) from http://www.bputah.com

Have any of you purchased anything from bputah? Their website seems a bit "low-tech." I'm a bit hesitant to press the "order" button. Would you folks deirect me anywhere else?

Thanks,
Omar

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,165 Posts
bputah (formerly roverconnection.com)is a good place to buy parts & accessories. some times LR niello in rocklin will have specials running too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
phil. said:
bputah (formerly roverconnection.com)is a good place to buy parts & accessories. some times LR niello in rocklin will have specials running too.
I also just purchased a 2006 RRS. Was out with mine Sunday as well in Joshua Tree National Park. And I also didn't feel the quake but I guess it sure rocked the Coachella Valley where I live.

Try Dealerfit.com for your hitch. I purchased a brand new LR hitch from dealerfit.com for $378 shipped. I shopped ebay as well. Dealerfit.com seemed to be the best price/least hassle method.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll give bputah a call tomorrow am. They seem to have the best prices I can find. I was just a bit concerned because their ordering process seems a bit outdated. I guess if it keeps the prices down, who needs a "fancy" website huh?

Another question: I purchased and installed the Loadspace Mat & Dog Guard. I'm not sure I've installed them correctly. I'm pretty sure they are designed to function together but this is the only way I could get the two to work. Maybe I'm missing something???

Here's and overview of my install:

Close up of my issue:

On the second image (sorry, tough to see) the lower brackets on either side had to be installed over the Loadspace Mat in order for the lower bar of the Dog Guard to clear the mat. It also appears that the cargo cover (the one that pulls out like a window shade) no longer fits. Any of you guys out there with this same set-up? Is it installed differently? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Omar

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
i have the same annoying issue with the tonneau cover. kinda slides to one side and you have to constantly re-seat it and it seems like it's an inch too short width-wise?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phil. said:
i have the same annoying issue with the tonneau cover. kinda slides to one side and you have to constantly re-seat it and it seems like it's an inch too short width-wise?
hmmmm? not sure we're having the same issue. I mean that the tonneau cover doesn't seem to fit with the dog guard installed. I was under the impression it would still function normally (I may be wrong, they could be incompatible). I figured I could remove the cover when the dog was going to be in the Rover and re-install it when not.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Nice RRS and color Omar, congrats!

Tonneau cover? You mean that thing that I took out of the car the day I drove it home and never used again?

...it could make a nice chew toy for your dog though

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
jmwgomz said:
phil. said:
hmmmm? not sure we're having the same issue. I mean that the tonneau cover doesn't seem to fit with the dog guard installed. I was under the impression it would still function normally (I may be wrong, they could be incompatible). I figured I could remove the cover when the dog was going to be in the Rover and re-install it when not.
I"ve got the same setup, my sliding cover does fit even with the dog guard installed. It will be a more snug fit, but you install the left hand side, and then press the button on the right hand side and it fits into the slot. Given that the dog guard leans over a bit, it's a slighly tighter fit.

The only difference on your install that MIGHT be causing the issue is that I didn't install the dog guard over the rubber mat, I just left that slightly curled up at the cage, so the guard feet mounts fit flush to the floor...that might be enough to lower it a bit and allow you to insert the sliding cover again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gooseyloosey said:
Nice RRS and color Omar, congrats!

Tonneau cover? You mean that thing that I took out of the car the day I drove it home and never used again?

...it could make a nice chew toy for your dog though
hahaha! I know, I just figured that the car would be a better storage place for the cover than the garage. Probably won't ever use it.

PJPR01 said:
The only difference on your install that MIGHT be causing the issue is that I didn't install the dog guard over the rubber mat, I just left that slightly curled up at the cage, so the guard feet mounts fit flush to the floor...that might be enough to lower it a bit and allow you to insert the sliding cover again.
That's what I noticed when I first installed the dog guard. I didn't want to leave the mat curled up in the back. I have no doubt my dog would've found it waaaaay too conveniently raised and accessible for chewing & destroying. I'm curious, did your dealer do the install or did you do it yourself? I just can't imagine that Land Rover would say these two accessories are compatible when they fit like this. As installed right now, I would have to remove the lower brackets of the dog guard in order to remove the mat to clean it outside of the car.

Here's my dog trying it out:

As you can see, it's already very dirty and he's only used it once. The last thing I want is to have to remove those brackets every time I want to clean up back there.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
I did the install myself...but precisely for that reason of being able to remove the rubber mat at any point without taking out the brackets. My yellow labrador doesn't chew on the rubber since he's so well trained, but also because he actually has a waterproof dog bed in the back which sits on top of the rubber mat.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Nice dog Omar! Your Weimarainerreinerainer matches your choice of car exterior and interior color very nicely. :thumb:

P.S. If you've never seen Chistopher Guest's "Best in Show" you should rent it. There's a one in the movie.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gooseyloosey said:
Nice dog Omar! Your Weimarainerreinerainer matches your choice of car exterior and interior color very nicely. :thumb:

P.S. If you've never seen Chistopher Guest's "Best in Show" you should rent it. There's a one in the movie.
"Best in Show" is f-ing hilarious! "A Mighty Wind" is also very funny.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I settled on ordering the wiring harness from bputah and the hitch receiver from dealerfit. I received the wiring on Friday and installed it yesteday. I have to say, it is not as easy as some of the posts I found would lead you to believe. I had a lot of trouble trying to get the tail lamp assembly off. I very nearly broke it before finding a post on the range rover forum suggesting using a towel-wrapped flat head screwdriver to pry the left side of the assembly away from the vehicle. Also, I'm not sure the wiring is "secure" under the car. I only managed to find one hole where an attached mounting clip could be secured (this was directly behind the wiring harness' trailer connector).

Any of you know where I might be able to get a set of these rims:

seems to me that land rover no longer manufactures these. I figured It might be a good idea to have a dedicated set of smaller rims w/off road tires. I've got the stock 20's now. I know they make all-terrains that will fit my wheels, ex:

Just wondering what would be the best option. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
i don't know the style number, but they're 18" LR3 10 spoke rims. you can find them often on ebay or craigslist. if you go to 18s, you'll have more options for all terrain tires. most popular size is 285/60-18 with the nitto terra grappler and cooper zeon LTZ being the most popular tire options. i run 18s full time and quite a few on here have them as a second set. i guess it depends on how often you think you'll end up swapping tires out. i knew how lazy i am so it was an easy decision for me `)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Any 18" rim designed for an LR3 will fit your 2009 or earlier RRS HSE (without Brembo brakes), and there are several designs to choose from. I own the first style linked in your photo above: While LR no longer offers them on their new cars, they are still relatively easy to find used on sites such as eBay, search for "18" LR3 wheels" and you might get lucky. I paid $400 for my slightly used set of 4 a few years ago and then I bought a fifth one for the spare. Fitted them with 285/60/18s Cooper Zeon LTZs and couldn't be happier. As a matter of fact, like Phil I find the setup good enough to run all the time, on road and off. I still have my set of "bling" wheels in the garage, but I don't put them on anymore. The 18" OEM rims are strong, they can take a beating off road and look good to boot. :thumb:

The "action shot" in the 2nd picture is a LR stock photo of a S/C with standard 20" rims and Conti SportContact tires over some sharp looking rocks. Looks cool on a brochure but that combo - on that terrain - is really not a good idea in the long run, with such a tame tread and low profile you will be in trouble real quick. If you plan to off-road in Southern California - rock crawling is pretty much unavoidable here - and decide to stick with your standard 20s instead of downsizing to 18s, at least make sure you upsize those stock, low profile summer tires with chunkier A/Ts, such as Nittos Terra Gs or Cooper Zeon LTZs. Both are good tires for all but the most challenging conditions and are available in 285/50/20s, pretty much as large as you can upsize a 20" setup on a Sport without any other modifications.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys. I really like how those 10-spoke 18s & off road tires look on the sport. umbertob, WOW, you found a set for $400??? That sounds ridiculously cheap? You think it's realistic for me to expect to find a set at that price or did you just get lucky? I want to get this thing set up asap! I definitely want to take at least a couple trips this spring & summer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received my trailer hitch receiver from dealerfit today. Unfortunately, the release/locking mechanism is broken. The green lever is actually broken into several pieces and the key is broken in half (with half of it stuck in the keyhole of course). Anyone deal w/returns or exchanges with dealerfit before? I tried sending an email to their order support email address and It keeps bouncing back saying that the email is full. Also, isn't the trailer hitch receiver supposed to come with two keys?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts