RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after much searching and waiting out the seller to lower the price over the last month I just picked up a 01 HSE w/76K. Look forward to my first CEL code to have a proper introduction to the Rover world (knock on wood, kidding of course). :geek:

Not so found of the sideboards though. Would like to see if I can swap them for rock sliders or the like. As well I'm missing the drivers arm rest plastic fascia (light tan color). I've inquired around to no avail if anyone has one lying around.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome !

Do yourself a favour and google "green oval rave" (without quotes).

Download RAVE (workshop manual) and Microcat (part's guide).

Rock sliders: contact Martin (leftlanetruckin) for one of his HD rock sliders. There's been a recent thread about this.

enjoy, and please don't do stupid mods to your Rangie (yes, modern grill, lights and bling rims ARE stupid mods)

N.

PS: kmagnuss, you're welcome ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Guess I'll need to install Parallels for the mac to use Rave.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kmagnuss said:
scotty has the part you need. pm him.
He mentioned he did not have my color in stock. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
RoverABQ said:
Why? You'll only need a parallel port if you need to run the EAS software if should you get a leak that sends you into a hard fault [bump stops]
You only need a copy of acrobat to run RAVE.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
241 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
RoverABQ said:
Why? You'll only need a parallel port if you need to run the EAS software if should you get a leak that sends you into a hard fault [bump stops]
You only need a copy of acrobat to run RAVE.
Parallels is a software that runs on the Mac and will let you run Windows. That is how I run Rave as well. However I use VirtualBox... its free and open source and produced by Oracle/Sun (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So many oil threads. As it's spent it's whole life in cold Chicago and now is in hot New Mexico dusty, given the oil chart in the manual I assume 10w-40 Mobil 1 is a good choice?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. The RR looks sharp.

With regards to oil change, don't just settle on engine oil, but be sure to go through all including differentials, transfer case, transmission, steering, and brakes. Changing all is relatively easy, and is a great way to see if something needs further attention (ie burning smell coming from transmission oil). Oh yeah, don't forget to lube your chassis as well. You should have 6 zerk points on your driveshaft/ujoints.

RAVE will have all info regarding what kind of oil is required. Opinion is divided here, but I don't really think you need the synthetics for your engine-I think it will just accelerate the rate of oil leak from valve covers. Only synthetics called out for in the RAVE is for your differentials-They require 75w-90 synthetic.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sure is a pretty range you got there :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
At least the rust underneath wont be spreading anymore.

Take a look at your exhaust. When I had my 2000 4.6 HSE in Chicago, it went through 2.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TheoR said:
Congrats on your purchase. The RR looks sharp.

With regards to oil change, don't just settle on engine oil, but be sure to go through all including differentials, transfer case, transmission, steering, and brakes. Changing all is relatively easy, and is a great way to see if something needs further attention (ie burning smell coming from transmission oil). Oh yeah, don't forget to lube your chassis as well. You should have 6 zerk points on your driveshaft/ujoints.

RAVE will have all info regarding what kind of oil is required. Opinion is divided here, but I don't really think you need the synthetics for your engine-I think it will just accelerate the rate of oil leak from valve covers. Only synthetics called out for in the RAVE is for your differentials-They require 75w-90 synthetic.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to install windows on my mac to use Rave I guess.

In the meantime is changing oil in the differential the usual drain and refill till it starts to pour out the refill hole?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The RAVE I have is a pdf file and works fine in OSX, no virtual anything. Havent tried the microcat.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
amv8vol said:
The RAVE I have is a pdf file and works fine in OSX, no virtual anything. Havent tried the microcat.
Hmm. Maybe i've downloaded the wrong one.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yup, you got it. Fill till it starts to trickle out is the way you fill the differentials. Make sure you take off the filler plug first, then take the drain plug-Nothing worse than finding out that the filler plug is rusted shut after you drain the whole thing.

BTW, the method you fill the transfer case is the same as well. Caveat is, transfer case uses ATF fluid.

Transmission fill is pretty much the same, except, once the fluid is filled up to the filler hole, you have to move through your gears while the car's idling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts