Range Rovers Forum banner

New tires, new thunk...

559 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Winch 
#1 ·
Hi guys - this is a tire related issue with my 2008 RRSC which I just got, 95000 miles - had for a few weeks and drove more than 500 miles. Love it. No thunks clunks or rattles. Up until yesterday evening drove beautifully - silently and smooth. The tires were shot however so after reading the threads here over last few weeks, settled on Nitto Terra Grappler G2, 165/50 x 20. Purchased tires from shop close to work but then they could not mount - very busy - until end of next week. Called local shop 2 min from home and they were able to get the work done yesterday afternoon. So I took it to them, and now I'm up at 230AM can't sleep...
1. they replaced all 4 TPMS @$135 each: I did not think replacement of TPMS was required with a routine tire change. Am I right?
2. WORSE and concerning: the truck now has weird thunks and clunks from front suspension now. This is not rubbing - I don't think - it is not constant and not while in full turn lock. Not related to hitting bumps. With old tires the truck was smooth as glass. Now it sounds like about to fall apart - a bit exaggerated but from silent to this noise is very disturbing. Any idea why there would be these odd and worrying thunks sounds now? After a routine tire change?

The local shop is NOT a Range Rover place but a very busy Euro repair shop - cars mostly, but I see SUV there now and again (Cayenne, Q5 etc). I'm afraid I took to the "wrong" place even though we take our Audi and other cars over the years and the have been good. I assumed they could change the tires and they stated it would be no problem.

Thanks for any thoughts on this issue.
Here's an added layer of humanity - this occurred on spouse's birthday dinner night and she is not pleased I did this to her truck (she loves the RR).

See less See more
#2 ·
Any vibration on steering wheel?
Check tire bolts torque first. If they did a normal job mostly not related to tire replacement. Maybe car was fallen on brake rotors
Go there and ask for video record.

Even in car wash never ever no one touched my cars without my observation

#3 ·
No vibration - nothing odd except semi-random thunks. Never again to anyone but the trusted RR expert.
Checked torque at 103 ft/lbs all were very close - just a minor crank and they were fine.
Looking under truck there is no evidence of a drop - nothing bent or scraped.
The now black balled shop is reputable as far as that goes - so don't think a drop is likely.
thx - open to more ideas...

#4 · (Edited)
Random thoughts. Some of these relate to vehicles in general, and are not Rover specific.

-Aftermarket wheels that don't center on the hub as well as OEM do.
-Some sort of spacer or adapter for an aftermarket wheel that was inadvertently left out or reversed.
-Inappropriate aftermarket lug nuts which are bottoming out before actually pressing fully against the wheel. Or are conical versus a flat mating surface, or vice-versa.
-The mechanic didn't tighten the lug nuts in an appropriate pattern, resulting in a rare seating problem.
-Loosened or worn top strut mounts which don't reseat properly once raised on a lift.
-Tire balance weights striking a brake caliper or other component.
-Sheet metal brake shield bent during tire installation, causing rubbing or striking.
-A worn/compromised suspension component or rubber that was somehow tweaked while fully unloaded on a lift, causing a new symptom once weight-loaded back on the ground.
-Insufficiently torqued or fully overlooked nut or bolt at the end of a front end alignment process, mechanic error.
-Something small inexplicably got lodged between a wheel and hub when mounting a wheel.
-A heavily flat-spotted tire from sitting in one spot too long (although yours are new).

Just for the heck of it, I might try removing the two front wheels, maybe spin them 180 degrees, and reinstall them just in case there was some bizarre wheel mating issue going on, or the mechanic didn't do a proper "opposites" approach when tightening the lug nuts in an appropriate pattern.

Gud Ruck! as Scooby-Doo would say.

#5 ·
Great reply - thanks. Some good ideas there. I checked all the wheels for torque, took one off and also looked under truck. Nothing obvious that’s out of place or bent etc. I think you could be right that it’s suspension component related.
Took it for a drive and it tracks straight. But when moving at 15-20 mph and turn wheel side to side it “thunks” as weight shifts. Possibly a bushing is out of place. Sway bar?
I am going to take it to the shop that worked on the RRC. For this and also I get some messages on start up. Different thread.
PS the shop I took it to offered to put it up on the lift and check it out and in same breath tell me - “but it’s a 12 year old Range Rover”. Almost said GFY but of course would never do that - he just reveals his lack of knowledge . Why insult a customers truck based on ignorance? Not the smartest move but whatever.

#6 ·
Well....to close the book on this one, it was the sway bar drop links that needed to be replaced. They were silent with the old worn out tires - somehow getting new shoes brought the problem forward. And I took it back to the same shop that did the tires. They know what they are doing. Good mechanics even if the boss/owner is a bit of a character.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.