RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the brake light switchin my 1999 HSE. The brake lights were stuck on, so I checked the switch and the ears on the plunger that limit the travel of the contacts for the brake light portion were sheared off. I replaced the switch with the new style unit from the dealer, which consisted of a $20 switch and a $25 adapter harness to convert the 4 pin new style switch to the old style 3 pin connector (what a ripoff). I installed the switch and fired up the car and now the brake lights work great but the TC and ABS lights are always lit and the message "Traction Fault" comes up. This new style switch has no self adjusting plunger like the original did. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I replaced mine with the original style, so cant help there.
Did you try to install your old one to make sure the t/c lights etc go out with the stock style switch installed again?

Martin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reinstalled the original switch and the TC and ABS lights stayed on, so it must be something that went wrong during the switch install. I think I unplugged the old switch from the harness while the key was on at some point, but I'm not sure how that could lead to a permanent failure of the system. I'll check with the dealer tomorrow. Maybe they'll feel guilty about charging me $25 for a 4 in. piece of wire and actually help me out.

At least now the brake lights aren't on all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My old style switch broke the connectors inside( no brake lites,ABS & Traction control lites stayed on) I fitted the later style switch and the new connector,4 pin to 3 pin,Now it works as it should,,simple change over.But I paid a lot more than you did,about $80 AUD.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Your ECU has logged the fault in its memory and need a reset of the fault code. After the reset is performed all your problems will be solved.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it is simply a stored code. I have lights, a warning beep and a message at every startup and neither the ABS or the Traction Control are functioning. The ABS never kicks in, nor does the traction control. I think it's pretty fun to drive in the snow like this, but my wife doesn't agree. I checked the output at the brake switch, and there is power out of the normally closed side and no power out of ther normally open side before the pedal is depressed, and the oposite when the pedal is depressed so it looks like the problem isn't there.

There is another thread that discusses a similar problem that appears to have been related to a voltage issue. The computer needs to see 12 volts to kick on the ABS and the TC. I will test the voltages and in the system and also at the ABS ecu and see if there is something amiss there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update - I finally got around to bringing this to a local shop and checking for faults. After a reset, the ABS and Traction Control lights went out and both functions began to work. However, the lights flash when the brakes pedal is quickly depressed. The lights come on in a sequence, first TC, then Brake, then ABS. Once all three are lit, the lights then turn off. No faults are stored. The owner of this Rover only shop had never seen this before, so I guess I'll drive it and wait until it turns into something more serious.

It's nice to know that the ABS and Traction Control are de-activated by an intermittent fault and need a visit to the dealer for a reset.

And just to complete the experience, the "Bonnet Open" warning began to flash and chime after the hood had been closed. It was fully latched, but it still kept shiming for a good portion of the ride home, then it went away by itself.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
If Abs light very briefly flashes when you press brake pedal it could mean a new accumalator is needed, does ABS pump run every time you press brake pedal....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I asked the mechanic that but he said the accumulator seems fine. The brakes always feel great and the pedal always has a linear feel. Besides, it isn't only the ABS light coming on, it is the TC, Brake and ABS coming on sequentially. First the TC, then the Brake, then the ABS. They go off in that order as well. It reminds me of the tailights on an old Mercury Cougar. And it only happens when the brake pedal is slammed on quickly. The lights are on and off within a few seconds. Very odd.

My EAS compressor also shut down briefly this evening, I pulled the cover and smacked it with my palm and it started humming agian. It's as if this thing were a Rover or something - oh, wait. I keep forgetting that I was crazy enough to aqcuire one of these things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts