RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'93 LSE 4.2 petrol.

Right - in the middle of doing plug change, cooling system flush and other maintenance and the starter died. Never had any probs with it in 6 years. Tried to start engine for about the seventh time that day (no previous probs) it made a sudden heavy 'graunch'. Subsequent symptoms were complete silence on turn of key all lights dimmed - ie heavy power drain - no solenoid clicks. Thought it may have jammed, tried it a few times, engine would turn over by hand with plugs removed, battery had been fully charged the previous day.

Once I'd got it off (long complicated story in itself) and stripped down it became obvious what the problem was, the starter (LR OE Bosch unit) had those planetary reduction gears and the outer ring - some kind of hard plastic - had spontaneously become many many small pieces.

Finally sourced a suitable replacement (Paddocks are only 10 miles away) got it fitted and it won't work. Jump power to the solenoid output terminal and it turns, jump power to the small switched solenoid connector and the solenoid engages, but try it on the key and the solenoid clicks but no cranking.

I think there's a cranking relay somewhere, I've found the fuse (OK) for it below the steering column, but can't find which the relay is.

I've got Rave but it's not clear which the relay is - there's b****y dozens of them down there.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

THX - Alastair

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - I'm cracking up . . . when I took the starter cables off, I tucked them out of the way and when I reconnected them I'd missed the main power feed from the battery - it was hidden behind the fuel lines - Doh!

Working now. Just got to put all the underdash panels back.

A

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has the starter been acting up? like unusual noises and slow cranking. There are two things that causes this condition: a battery that is not fully charges or bad starter. if battery or starter is at fault (see: how to replace a starter). Or you may try to jump start the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, but you need to read the earlier posts (and the date of the original query) more carefully. . . ;).
It was 5 months ago! (and I'd answered my own question later the same day.)

I've since completely rebuilt the top of the engine, starts fine now.

A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts