RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided this winter to go with a full winter tire on the stock 19's, since I run the 20's in the summer. I got the Nokian Hakkapeliitta Studded tires in 255/50/19, and they are unbelievable. It feels like you're driving on a dry road. I can't even get the abs to stutter. They were about the same price as the blizzaks, around 339/tire, but so worth the money. If you're looking for a winter-only tire, the Nokian gets a 10 out of 10 in my book.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,468 Posts
Those are cool...how about some larger pics in snowy conditions!

Are the studs that short, I thought they'd have stuck out a bit longer to "bite" the road.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the studs are short, but they stick out enough that you hear them on a dry road. I'll get some pics tomorrow in the snow.....we're supposed to get 1-2 feet. ;)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Remember back in early 2008 when the first "spy photos" of the upcoming 2010 RRS/LR4 being tested on the Swedish snow came out? Those studded Nokians were the tires of choice on those test mules, so they must be excellent tires indeed. Don't see much in the way of studs here in L.A. :wink: , and I think I remember reading that they are illegal to use on most mountain roads here in Cali for all but a handful of winter months, something about studs damaging the pavement.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
$339 holy moly! I know Nokians are good tires but are they worth $100+/tire more than others?

I run $200 Dunlop snows, and I've been in some wild snow storms in VT and New England with no problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yah, $1500 for the set is kinda pricey, but I can get 3 seasons out of them, so $500/season isnt bad. I've never tried the Dunlops. We have one tire shop out here in Aspen/Basalt (Big O Tires), and they feature Blizzaks (which 90% of the people out here drive on) and the Nokians. I can only compare them to the stock 19/20's, but they are unbelievable in the snow. I was driving 70mph back from Snowmass yesterday on a completely snowpacked highway, and you never would have known there was snow on the road.

A couple pics from this morning....12" of unplowed roads was no problem.....except for my windshield fogging up!

gooseyloosey said:
$339 holy moly! I know Nokians are good tires but are they worth $100+/tire more than others?

I run $200 Dunlop snows, and I've been in some wild snow storms in VT and New England with no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'm so jealous, please may we get this snow in VT, please. :pray:

·
Registered
171 Posts
maxwell said:
yah, $1500 for the set is kinda pricey, but I can get 3 seasons out of them, so $500/season isnt bad. I've never tried the Dunlops. We have one tire shop out here in Aspen/Basalt (Big O Tires), and they feature Blizzaks (which 90% of the people out here drive on) and the Nokians. I can only compare them to the stock 19/20's, but they are unbelievable in the snow. I was driving 70mph back from Snowmass yesterday on a completely snowpacked highway, and you never would have known there was snow on the road.

A couple pics from this morning....12" of unplowed roads was no problem.....except for my windshield fogging up!

gooseyloosey said:

Looks like you need a garage. :D

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Great Pics Maxwell...I take it that's your ski rack sticking out of the snow on the roof!

I can hardly wait to get up to snow country...

:D :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yah, we've got unbelievable conditions right now. A foot of new snow, and no one is here right now....at least for another week!

PJPR01 said:
Great Pics Maxwell...I take it that's your ski rack sticking out of the snow on the roof!

I can hardly wait to get up to snow country...

:D :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Those are sweet tires - but we can't run 'em down here in the bay area ...I went with Nokian WR G2 SUV on my Cayenne and think I'm going with the same on my new RR Sport. These are a studless snows that Nokian actually calls an "all-season", but they get the all-important snowflake/mtn symbol AND they are V rated, so nice stiff sidewalls (I've used Blizzaks in the past and they felt a bit softer).

·
Registered
219 Posts
wouldn’t a more aggressive tire tread work just as well as the studded tire with less aggresive tread?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably in the soft stuff. The studs are mostly for icy/hard stuff. They dig in and keep the ABS from going nuts.

Mark_CT said:
wouldn’t a more aggressive tire tread work just as well as the studded tire with less aggresive tread?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mark_CT said:
What is a more aggressive tread? BFG MT? Simex Centipede?
What a snow tyre needs is lots of siping in the tread as well
as big treadblocks.
The material of the tyre will determine if studs can be fitted or not
as usually studded tyres are harder.
There is no best between studded/ unstudded as it depends on the
conditions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree w/q-rover. Conditions really do dictate it - for my use, we're in the bay area during the week (40's to 70's temps, no snow and little rain) and Tahoe on the weekends (single digits to 30's most of the winter, lots of snow covered roads all the way up to feet deep of unplowed). In my experience, a more aggessive tread will only work better in un-plowed stuff. On plowed roads/mix of ice & snow, the new compounds they use + the wicked siping on the tires work together to make an incredibly sticky feel, but still great dry pavement running too.

I have a '94 Wrangler with Goodyear MTRs ... perfect in mud, sand and even pretty grippy on rock. Great in deep snow (like trail running in the snow) and scary on the streets in comparison to my other vehicles with true winter tires (Blizzaks & Nokians). I had the tires siped this fall and am hoping to see a bit less white knuckle moments in the Jeep - we'll see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts