RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at replacing the shock absorbers as they are 18 years old with 122k miles use. It is a 1998 2.5 Diesel Auto P38 with Air Suspension.

I have found genuine ones but for over £100 each.

I can get Terrafirma (all four) for £130 which is tempting but are they any good?

Or any other suggestions for reasonably priced decent shocks?

The Terrafirma ones are here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROV...:MK+II&hash=item43c00e9aad:g:h3EAAOSwstxU40zV

Thanks in advance as always

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Orignals were Boge and they are still available from Island at around £100 a set so I don't know where you've been looking. Rears http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/shock-absorber-rear-boge-stc3671g-p-4268.html, fronts http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/shock-absorber-front-boge-stc3672g-p-4269.html

I replaced my fronts a while ago as I figured that the originals would probably be a bit tired after 310,000 miles or so. Nothing wrong with them. I replaced the rears a couple of years ago but only because one of them had a little slack so rattled over bumps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Orignals were Boge and they are still available from Island at around £100
Thanks very much for the link - I think I will go with the Boge ones from Island.

I need to bookmark all the various suppliers so I can shop around online every time I need something!

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Another vote for the standard Boge shocks. For everyday use, there very hard to beat and not expensive at all!
I really like the TerraFirma's as well, but only bought them because I wanted longer shocks to go with the longer airbags offroad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently purchased an 01 RR HSE :dance:and I'm still in the process of replacing several items (brakes, fluids, spring conversion, hoses, belt, o rings, navigation update, head liner, tires, etc. etc.) and the shocks was one of the items I recently did. I decided to go with the Bilstein 4600 series. I got them from tire rack for about $90 USD each and free shipping in the states so I thought it was a good deal. :wink: There are tons of information on the forum that could help you. Definitely educate yourself and you'll make the right choice for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - I ordered the BOGE ones, for £110 sterling inc VAT delivered (I am in the UK)

Not fitted them yet - got my own list of mainly leaky bits I am working through at the moment :)

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I've had Bilsteins for the last 3 years and I'm thinking of going for these so I can change the ride quality as I wish...

Disco/Classic/Defender parts do not fit the P38. Even Disco II shocks are different than P38 and Disco.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see no one's been on this thread for almost a year so not sure if I'll get any responses. I'm a newbie so be gentle with me. I have a 2002 with the original air suspension system, although with new bags. About a year ago my mechanic put in Bilstein shocks and the ride was amazing for about 6 months. Then the car started jumping all over the road whenever I would hit a bump. Recently he changed the damper which has helped a lot but the car still feels rough over bumps. A new mechanic is suggesting I go back to the original gas type shocks but I see on most of these messages that that will give it a harsher ride, not a smoother ride. People seem to be fans of the Terrafirmas. I pretty much exclusively drive in cities and highways, not much 4 wheeling. Recommendations for a smoother ride?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It reminds me of the old saying, "stay stock and worry free". On my first P38, I tried Bilsteins because if their reputation for quality sports car shocks. IMO, they need to stick to cars. They were very harsh on the P38 and damaged the smooth ride. With the air suspension, I feel that you need to stick to the shocks intended purpose, that is controlling the rebound of the spring after hitting a bump. The Bilsteins added some compression damping that didn't mate well at all. My opinion of course, but my P38 runs on stockers now and I'm happier. I suspect the TerraFirma adjustment is more gimick than anything. I doesn't even say what is being adjusted compression, rebound, both, ?.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Dena, you will find the recommendations will be the same. Just read above and the existing threads and go with what fits your needs.

As your are on proper EAS you will find factory Boge units will restore the "magic carpet" ride a properly outfitted P38 is famous for. Bilsteins tend to be too stiff and unyielding for many folks. I've easily removed 10 or 12 full sets over the years and binned them because people went with the brand name thinking they would be an improvement.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
A loooong time ago I had Doetstech (spelling) custom build me a set for the Rhino and they were fantastic... and cheap also. Not sure if you can still talk them into building a set but it might be worth a try if you like a soft set up.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Ah yes, our pioneer of custom shocks. Did they ever issue a part number?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I'd skip the Boge shocks. Mine kept failing over and over again despite my light duty use. And don't even get me started on Island 4x4; suffice it to say they do NOT stand behind their warranty. Quite happy with my Bilsteins.

The biggest difference in ride quality came when installing new ball joints, tie rods, links, and bushings.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Ah yes, our pioneer of custom shocks. Did they ever issue a part number?
Lol they mentioned they were going to make them a stocked item... but who knows if they ever did or not. I doubt they did. Their market is off road Jeeps and a few Yotas.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Go for Boge- best ride for the original "feel" as said by RRTH and others above. Island 4x4 are cheapest that will export to USA, but if you don't want to trust their slightly iffy approach to customer service and comms try:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROV...-SET-2-X-STC3672B-2-X-STC3671B-/371821878429?
I've had Konis (expensive, firm and transfer a lot of rough road impact to the body, but do reduce motorway body roll) and Monroes (similar ride to Konis, but considerably cheaper) on my P38s, but I prefer the feel of Boge and they'll be the next set I fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd skip the Boge shocks. Mine kept failing over and over again despite my light duty use. And don't even get me started on Island 4x4; suffice it to say they do NOT stand behind their warranty. Quite happy with my Bilsteins.

The biggest difference in ride quality came when installing new ball joints, tie rods, links, and bushings.
Add to that, "solid" feel of steering and overall ride, improved cornering stability (no sway boat like)..and they are tough.this is what Bilstein had in mind when they build them. +10 years or more of problemfree ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts