RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
136 Posts
Thank you for your message. I’ve backed off of the cosmetic stuff for now. I just want to get her running like I know she can.

I get frustrated easily when I myself can’t fix something. I think that is my main issue - leaving it to someone else. It doesn’t help that I have a general mistrust of car dealers and mechanics.

I have researched some RR experts in my area (I’m in St Pete), but I also have an acquaintance that is a mechanic and learned recently that he is familiar with RRs, so it might be going to him after all.

Thanks again for the encouragement!
You’re really going to have to learn how to do this yourself or find a kind local friend that’s willing to help. With a good friend, good tools, and a good code reader, you’ll be able to search the forum for answers. If you don’t do the work yourself, these trucks can get expensive — quick. I couldn’t imagine owning my 2007 RRS if I didn’t do all the maintenance — I’d be car-poor. Mind you, the 2007 is way more reliable than the 2012.

If available for your mileage and year, you can consider a third-party warranty if the the price is right. Some guys have noted some really expensive repairs that could come down the road — I wouldn’t want to own this truck without a warranty or the ability to do the repairs myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPtotheA

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would also inquire about your local lemon laws. Sounds like you inherited a load of problems. If the truck overheated within the first 20 miles off the lot, I would’ve thrown the keys at the dealer.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE Lux
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey guys. Haven’t been on in a while. Figured I’d give an update and ask a question:

Update first: dealer has it and is replacing the head gaskets, timing chain, and a few other things. Warranty is covering some, he and I are splitting the rest. This is probably the best case scenario because I am in Florida and there are NO laws protecting used car purchases. If the paperwork says AS IS, it’s as is. Max out of pocket for me should be around $2k hopefully - more likely around the 1k-1,500 mark.

That brings me to my question. Should I just try to sell it as soon as I get it back? I really don’t want to, but I’m concerned that this is just going to be an issue that rears it’s ugly head every once in a while and will be costly over the term of ownership.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE Lux
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You’re really going to have to learn how to do this yourself or find a kind local friend that’s willing to help. With a good friend, good tools, and a good code reader, you’ll be able to search the forum for answers. If you don’t do the work yourself, these trucks can get expensive — quick. I couldn’t imagine owning my 2007 RRS if I didn’t do all the maintenance — I’d be car-poor. Mind you, the 2007 is way more reliable than the 2012.

If available for your mileage and year, you can consider a third-party warranty if the the price is right. Some guys have noted some really expensive repairs that could come down the road — I wouldn’t want to own this truck without a warranty or the ability to do the repairs myself.

I posted my question before reading your response. Thanks for the advice. I do wish I would have just told him I didn’t want the car anymore at that time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I posted my question before reading your response. Thanks for the advice. I do wish I would have just told him I didn’t want the car anymore at that time.
After they make their repairs, trade it in for something else. your conscience will be clear because you did your due diligence on it and didn’t pass on a problem (ish). Consider something easy like a Toyota Forerunner.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts