RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Sport
27 Posts
Thank you! That’s fantastic - just not really sure how I’ll get the old one off? Locksmith maybe? This is super helpful!
You can drive out the roll pin on the green handle for the lock and the replace it with this to remove the hitch.
The misfires would lead me to thing timing chain tensioners but I'd head over to discoweb.org and ask there in the RR technical forum (lots more technical knowledge there) just ignore any attitude since it can be a bit of a rough neighborhood.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE Lux
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Try not to feel dejected. While f10m5 provided a pretty accurate list of things that will need to be addressed with your vehicle, it doesn't mean you'll have to do them all at once. You may have to go to the dealership to find out what the codes mean. If you can find an independent dealer that can also determine what the codes mean, that's great and could save you a lot of money (also, if you're in the Central Florida area, please let me know who you use as finding an independent mechanic who works on Range Rovers can be very difficult).

IMO, you need to start with the mechanical issues before the cosmetic stuff. Get those codes checked out and prioritize what needs to be addressed first. If it seems like this list of issues is going to run you thousands of dollars, you'll have to decide if this is going to be worth it to you. Good luck!
Thank you for your message. I’ve backed off of the cosmetic stuff for now. I just want to get her running like I know she can.

I get frustrated easily when I myself can’t fix something. I think that is my main issue - leaving it to someone else. It doesn’t help that I have a general mistrust of car dealers and mechanics.

I have researched some RR experts in my area (I’m in St Pete), but I also have an acquaintance that is a mechanic and learned recently that he is familiar with RRs, so it might be going to him after all.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Don't lose faith in your decision. These codes are not quite that bad. P0306 and P0316 are misfire codes on cylinder 6 and miss fire in first 1000 rpm. These engines are terrible with miss fire codes, the first step recommended by LR is to run a fuel treatment though 1 to 2 tanks of fuel. LR recommends using BK44. I had similar issue, took 2 treatments and problem sorted. Start with the easy stuff. If it does take two treatments, do an oil change after the second treatment. Could be caused by spark plug, bad coil, or yes the most expensive a set of injectors. The P2098 is meaning bank 2 is running lean, honestly this could be associated with the miss fires. Enjoy the Rover it really is a great ride.
Thank you for this information! I do love it, and miss it already (thanks in part to having to drive my Kia while it’s in the shop).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
So the dealership is saying I need a whole new engine. Seriously.

I’m beyond upset. I only have myself to blame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry. Didn’t mean to post that twice. They’re saying blown head gasket

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
24 Posts
Hi there. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in about these codes. I certainly wouldn't take one dealers advice on this. You mentioned you have an acquaintance who is a mechanic with RR experience? That seems like a no brainer to pay that person a visit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That’s what I’m going to do. Once the emotional dust settled I really thought about it and either they’re full of **** or they just don’t want to work on it. I contacted the dealer that sold it to me and he said he will make it right. So we will see. Fingers crossed. Thanks for letting me sound off here.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
24 Posts
And not being a mechanic at all......head gasket issues should be showing a loss of compression, coolant issues (leaks or depleted coolant, overheating). I wouldn't go directly from misfire to head gasket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I did have a coolant issue the morning I started it to take it in (low coolant warning) and ended up having it towed. But the CEL was never flashing and even when I called in to schedule the service they said I could still drive it as long as it wasn’t flashing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I’m sorry I don’t know why it’s posting 2 photos each time

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's possible that the dealer is right. Wouldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion. Hopefully the dealer that sold it to you will do something for you whether that's trade you into another vehicle, fix yours etc..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I know it’s possible. It just seems unlikely to me. Having said that, I’ve been wrong at every turn so far. I’m pleased the dealer is working with me as well.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Sport
27 Posts
How long and how many miles have you put on the car since you purchased it? Did it over heat since you've had it and did you purchase it from a Land Rover dealership? The 5.0 does not do well once overheated just like the 4.0/4.6 found in the Disco 1&2's. If this is a recent purchase from a LR dealer I'd go back to them and have it made right. If it was a serious over heat I'd demand a new engine.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I’ve had it since July 16th. It had 116.5k miles on it as of that day. I drove it less than 20 miles and it overheated and had to be towed. Dealer had it from Friday to Monday and replaced a plastic hose housing part. He drove it while he had it to make sure it was good. I can’t exactly recall where it was the second time I picked it up but it is at 117.7k now. The farthest we have driven it is to Orlando and back, maybe 180 miles round trip, give or take.
I did not purchase from a Land Rover dealer. This guy seems to want to make it right, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Sport
27 Posts
The plastic cross over tubes are a known issue (if that was the part that failed) and an overheated 5.0 is probably going to need some serious work if not replacement. Hopefully the dealer who sold it makes it right, a remanufatured non supercharged 5.0 is about $12,000.00 plus installation. Pretty sure the body must be lifted off the sports to replace heads/engines. Good luck and please keep us updated
ETA- Personally I'd ask him to buy it back.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport
56 Posts
Worth a second look. Honestly the dealer seems to have done a thorough check. White smoke from the exhaust, failed leak down test, and exhaust gas in coolant (chemical color change noted by tech) all point to a blown head gasket. These engines are very sensitive to overheat events. Good luck with the seller, hope they make this right for you.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts