RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE Lux
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I’ve scoured the threads on here and still have some burning questions. I’ll start by saying I do LOVE my new-to-me RRS as I’ve always wanted one. Because of my price point, mine comes previously well-loved (117k miles) and naturally with a few imperfections.

It also came without the manual, floor mats, cargo cover, and it has a very nice LR branded locking hitch but no key. I found the manual online last night but would love a hard copy and found info on that. The cargo cover seems unnecessarily difficult to replace. In fact, a lot of items seem unnecessarily difficult to find/replace. I realize the car is 8 years old but I’d really like to add some nice touches to make it feel complete and newer to me.

For floor mats I think I’ve elected to go OEM. Was thinking WeatherTech but I love the metal corner detail on the OEMs.

Now for the hitch. It doesn’t really bother me that it stays on, but it would be nice to have the option to remove it. Do I have a snowballs chance in hell of finding or having a key made?

Badges - the “Range Rover” letters on the front and back are showing wear and I’d like to replace them. These also seem hard to find. Are they the same for front and rear? Is this something I can do myself? I’m actually pretty handy but I don’t want to cause any damage.

It also looks like part of the tailgate was damaged at some point and replaced with a shade-off color panel. It drives me bonkers but nobody else seems to notice. The bumper and color-matched handles could use a refresh as well. Would it be worth it to take it to a body shop and just have those peices painted? I know it won’t look perfect but it can’t look worse.

Last thing (promise) - the dash leatherette was coming off when I bought it and the dealer had it “fixed” which consisted of glueing it into place, only he did a pretty terrible job on the driver’s side and I can tell in the Florida heat it won’t be long before it’s toast. Should I just cover it up with a dash carpet or similar? I don’t love that look either, but this is really messing with my OCD.

OOPS - one more thing (for real this is the last thing), the trim around the clock/volume area (silver) is bubbling. Is that even fixable?

If you’ve read this far, thank you! This forum has already been a wealth of information and I am happy to be here!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I found a cargo cover in Orlando! I seem to be finding a lot of the items I’m looking for on Ebay.

Also discovered another question: I have a cooler box in the center console. I’ve read that this is meant to keep things cool (like a traditional cooler I presume), as opposed to acting like a mini-fridge where it can actually make something cold. Is that true? Mine doesn’t seem to be working all that well and I thought maybe it is a fuse? Light comes on when you flip the switch, it just doesn’t seem like it gets cold (which is where the first theory would make sense above).

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
21 Posts
Hi there and welcome. I have a 2011 RRS and the cooler in the center console does indeed get things cool and keep them that way. Agree with Ebay, or Amazon, I've found quite a few parts on there. Others will chime in with more specific responses to your questions I'm sure!!

Cheers,
Jay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jay! I appreciate the welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so...latest development. Now the P2098 code is back and P0306 and P0316 have decided to join the party. Ugh.

We drove the car for a little over 4 hours round trip to Orlando to pick the cargo cover up (ran fine, although I thought it was idling a bit roughly), parked it, I took it around back to our alley to clean the wheels and when I went to move it back the CEL was back on and these were the codes that came up. P0306 says it is high risk and to not drive the vehicle if the light is flashing (it isn't).

Interesting thing is we filled the gas tank at the same station we had previously when the light came on. We tried different gas after the CEL was on the first time and it turned off. Octane is 93 at both stations, one is Shell and the other Wawa.

I'm at a loss here. Anyone?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
725 Posts
The centre cubby cooler will cool items but it takes a long time - certainly works best with items already cool but will cool it the lid is left shut.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
444 Posts
Hi. It would help greatly if you would post pictures of the issue, for example - dash board letherette deteriorating. I guess this is an issue with southern vehicles, you get zero rust but interior affected by sun and heat... I guess best solution would be to buy dash board northern vehicle :)
As far as lettering - easy job but you need to have some kind of buffer/polisher, because letters are really raised, area around of them does not get washed well and paint is very contaminated. Taking letters off would be only time you can buff-up/polish this area and you should use that chance. Beyond that, you can take off old letters with floss, rub residual glue off with fingers, clean area with alcohol and apply new ones. New letters come in trafarette that makes easier to apply them.
Plenty of videos on youtube, does not have to be LR specific.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
444 Posts
As far as tailgate damage - if it bothers you so much, I would just find nice same color LR that being parted out, and swap the whole thing. There is no rush on thos I guess so you can take your time and find one in draveable distance to see condition of the paint and other things important to you. Also - would be nice to see few pics of the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts