RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello. On Saturday I picked up my new, one of a kind, lorie blue with black roof and stealth package Autobiography. I could not be happier. It took 8 months to build, but it is a magnificent beast.

Love the exhaust note and the incredible power. The 22" wheels with matte are stunning. The interior is head and shoulders nicer than my previous X5.

This thing is a work of art.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Congrats! Can't describe it as one of a kind and not post pictures! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Wow looks great. Love the loire blue and those wheels!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
50 Posts
Beautiful truck! I love the color too. How's the ride with the 22" rims? Does it feel sportier than your previous X5?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I love the color as well.

Great question for me, as I had just had the same discussion on a BMW forum.

Mine was a 2017 (don't ask, I have problems) 50i with DHP (dynamic handling package) and M sport suspension. It was the best of the best, just below the X5M. It it handled like a race car.

It was super sporty.

The handling on the RRS is not on par. But I am not in an SUV to take corners like a racer.

Otherwise, the RRS is vastly sportier IMHO. The exhaust note is night and day. The acceleration and torque power are night and day. The ability to move in and out of traffic adds a very sporty feel. The big brembo breaks have awesome stopping power.

I really did love the X5. And Beemer fans in my life were pushing me towards a X5M. But I wanted the mix of sport, performance, luxury and snow ability.

Fwiw, the RRS is light years above in terms of quality. There is no competition whatsoever. Now, I was in an X5M a few months ago and that thing was incredibly impressive. On every single level.

But there is just something about the RRS that is way more special. And in comparison to my X5 (I would not say this on the BMW forum) I could not be happier with my decision. It is more expensive, but the cost difference does not explain the vast difference in quality.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the RRS ships with all season tires, since it's an extremely capable offroader. The BMW ships with performance tires. This is something people forget when comparing sportiness. Get some performance rubber on there if you want to do a better comparison. And make sure you are in dynamic mode.

For me the RRS is great because lets say it has 90% of the sportiness of the BMW...But it's also got a whole other side where its a supreme off roader. Its 2 cars in one. you only get 1 car with the BMW.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a great point you bring up. And something that I did think about in the overall decision.

I very much wanted the capable off roader (for snow). And the only reason my old X5 handled better was because of the DHP. It really had almost zero body roll and windy roads were eaten up similar to my 16 Z51. The vast majority of X5's do not have DHP and are not even close to the RRS.

The BMW really handled, in that regard, like a car. The RRS does feel like an SUV. And it is glorious.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
340 Posts
Wow, that is pretty sweet looking. Any pics of the interior? I need to get a few pics up of our 17 RRS Autobiography.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to see your pics.

I am going to upload the one interior picture I have now. I will try and get more.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I always love Lorie blue and have considered that color for a Range Rover L. Beautiful color under natural light. I like the red brake calipers on your vehicle. We opted to go with the unpainted calipers as I thought bright, solid red calipers would not match the darker, metallic red paint well. We did choose bright red painted calipers on our old Quattroporte (which was blue as well) though. Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting that you say that.

On the build I actually chose black calipers. However, they clearly came in red. I almost denied the purchase because of them, but I decided that the splash of color did compliment it because everything else is so dark.

And many thanks. To you as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah, the red calipers look great on blue vehicles. Not so much with the dark red paint on ours though.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Yes Firenze is a funny color. Sometimes it looks bright red and others a more burgundy. Not as much as montalcino of course but next to say a guards red Porsche, it's obviously darker.

I test drove the V8 X5 without the expensive handling package but I understand what you mean. Dynamic mode really makes a difference with the handling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is a great point you bring up. And something that I did think about in the overall decision.

I very much wanted the capable off roader (for snow). And the only reason my old X5 handled better was because of the DHP. It really had almost zero body roll and windy roads were eaten up similar to my 16 Z51. The vast majority of X5's do not have DHP and are not even close to the RRS.

The BMW really handled, in that regard, like a car. The RRS does feel like an SUV. And it is glorious.
Gotcha. Just to be sure - are you enabling dynamic mode when you are doing your comparison? It really knocks out the body roll. Its the winding road setting on the Terrain Response dial. It enables torque vectoring and other suspension tweaks to keep the car rock stable through turns - probably a lot like the BMW DHP. I see a lot of car mags not enable this and then say the RRS has body roll.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts