Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm new to this forum and to Range Rovers in general. I recently traded for an 87 RRC and had a couple brake lines blow out. I replaced all the blown lines and new have the task of bleeding the brakes. I have it to where there is a decent feel in the pedal while the motor is off but when it's running there is no feel at all. It just goes straight to the floor. Is there any sort of special process of bleeding them? Or maybe something that's broken? Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,197 Posts
There are three bleed points on the front calipers - its easy to miss one. Otherwise I have always found them very easy to bleed. One only bleed point on the rear.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Start at the furtherest point (rear) first and work to the closest (drivers front). When doing the front, you need to do the high bleed nipple at the same time as the lower ones.

Another trick is to use a different brand of brake fluid to what you currently have. Different brands tend to be different colours. So by using a different colour you will be able to tell when the new fluid reaches the brakes and you have therefore flushed the whole system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its strange, thats what I have been doing. It came with the owners manual and I followed the procedure in it. There seems to be no pressure in the system to bleed it out. Theres no fluid coming out of the rear brakes. Same way for the bleeders on the front brakes except for the primary bleed nipple, which has all fluid and no air coming out.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Its strange, thats what I have been doing. It came with the owners manual and I followed the procedure in it. There seems to be no pressure in the system to bleed it out. Theres no fluid coming out of the rear brakes. Same way for the bleeders on the front brakes except for the primary bleed nipple, which has all fluid and no air coming out.
Sounds like you amy need a new master cylinder.
Get someone in the drivers set and get them to pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times and then for them to try and push it to the floor and keep the pressure applied. While they are holding the pedal down, release the bleed nipple. Allow a second or two for any fluid/air to come out and then retighten the bleed nipple. Only once the nipple is tightened let the person take their foot off the brake. Then go through it again and again until you get fluid coming out with no air bubbles in it. Of course to see the bubbles you need a clear plastic hose attached to the bleed nipple while you are doing all this.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
One final point. The bleed nipple gets full of crap and rusts up inside. In such cases you won't get any brake fluid to come out of them. So if you are doing a full bleed, remove the bleed nipple completely first and and make sure it is clean and that you can easily blow through it and then replace it and start the bleed process listed in my previous posts.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
370 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the help guys. The problem revealed itself as another one of the lines blew out. My guess is that it had a very small pinhole in it that air was being sucked in and finally it gave out as it sprayed fluid everywhere. So now it has all new hard lines and all is well. Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts