RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

sorta new to forums, great place..lots of valuable info. Anyhow, I've decided to get an 06 sport supercharged w/ only 23,000 miles on it. :clap: , I currently own a 05 Range Rover HSE blue/sand. I will be selling the 05 as soon as the sport is shipped. I purchased it yesterday from kansas and it will be coming sometime this week to ny. No pics yet but I got the Java black on Ivory, with the rear entertainment system. It was either black on black, black on ivory, or white on black. What do you guys think of the black on ivory color combo? Any suggestions? I dont really want roofracks, spoilers, brush guards, running boards or anything of that sort. I do plan to change the side markers from yellow to white but those I can order online for $70. What other small mods are a necessity? Should i cooler code the mirrors? I can order chrome mirrors online but I dont really like those on black.

I plan to eventually get 22' stormers, whats the best place to get those? Which tires are most best for 22 inch stormers?

My sport s/c is apparantly missing the navigation dvd, should i just take the one from my 05 range, or are they different? How much is the dvd from a land rover dealership?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated as i've only owned the full size range and never the sport. Thanks in advance and I will be frequenting these forums now.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations. Sounds like a great combo, the ivory interior goes great with any color - it's just a bit more of a pain to keep clean, probably. Please do post pictures when you get your baby delivered.

Regarding the navigation disc, if you don't mind an older version I still have my original 2006/2007 DVD stashed somewhere, as I upgraded to the 2007/8 early this year. You can have it for 50 bucks. New ones are $199 (there is now a 2-DVD, $349 set that includes Mexico) and you can buy them online rather than from your dealer. 2008/9 version is about to come out, so you might as well wait for that one: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERS ... oducts=YES

If your MY05 FFRR has the new DVD navigation system by Denso (touchscreen), and I believe it does as the new MOST infotainment system was introduced on the MkIII in 2005, that disc is compatible with the Sport, however. Unless the previous owner of your Sport updated his own satnav to the 2006/7 version, using the original DVD from your FFRR (likely to be the 2005 data disc) would also allow you to preserve the 1791 hack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Umberto-so with this new 2008/2009 disc coming out this month, would there still be a way to keep the 1791 hack? I seem to remember you saying elsewhere that if you did the last disc update, as long as you don't load it in the drive yet, you could copy the files onto your computer, add another file to it or somesuch other wizardry, and keep the 1791 hack. Just wondered if that would still be possible with this one, or will we not know until someone gets the new disc and plays around with it?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
We'll have to wait and see if the file structure of the upcoming 2008/9 disc is the same as the previous ones, they should become available any day... Most likely though, it will be the usual Denso disc inclusive of the loading.kwi "firmware update" file that we should be able to remove prior to feeding the DVD in the drive, preserving the 1791 hack but updating maps, POI database, etc. to the latest ones included in the new disc. That's the way it worked for those who, like me, updated their 2005 original discs to 2006 versions and were still able to use the hack. I later upgraded to the 2007/8 version using the same trick, and it worked. There have been a couple of reports (on another forum) that some members who "skipped" the 2006 update and went from original 2005 directly to 2007/8 did not need to hack the disc, they just fed the original in the drive and are still able to use the 1791 bypass. It's possible of course that Denso/LR may have issued only one "1791 killer" loading.kwi file on the 2006 disc and didn't bother repeating the routine on later versions, but I am too afraid to double check that claim on my car though, as if the reports are "inaccurate" I'd be screwed for good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
umbertob said:
We'll have to wait and see if the file structure of the upcoming 2008/9 disc is the same as the previous ones, they should become available any day... Most likely though, it will be the usual Denso disc inclusive of the loading.kwi "firmware update" file that we should be able to remove prior to feeding the DVD in the drive, preserving the 1791 hack but updating maps, POI database, etc. to the latest ones included in the new disc. That's the way it worked for those who, like me, updated their 2005 original discs to 2006 versions and were still able to use the hack. I later upgraded to the 2007/8 version using the same trick, and it worked. There have been a couple of reports (on another forum) that some members who "skipped" the 2006 update and went from original 2005 directly to 2007/8 did not need to hack the disc, they just fed the original in the drive and are still able to use the 1791 bypass. It's possible of course that Denso/LR may have issued only one "1791 killer" loading.kwi file on the 2006 disc and didn't bother repeating the routine on later versions, but I am too afraid to double check that claim on my car though, as if the reports are "inaccurate" I'd be screwed for good!
Question for those of us who bought our cars where the 1791 was already disabled. Can we "enable" the hack by buying the new version and removing the loading.kwi file?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Weez_1000 said:
Question for those of us who bought our cars where the 1791 was already disabled. Can we "enable" the hack by buying the new version and removing the loading.kwi file?
AFAIK, once the 1791-less firmware instructions are uploaded into the satnav module there is no way to get them off there (you'd have to figure out a way to wipe them off the module and reload the original firmware from a 2005/6 system, which allowed the 1791 bypass.) Inserting a new disc with the loading.kwi file removed would not overwrite those instructions, so while the new maps and POIs would load, you'd still be unable to use the hack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
umbertob said:
I noticed today, that the 2008-2009 update disc is now for sale. Any word if it has the "1791 killer"? I'm long passed due for an update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts