RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just placed an order a few days ago for a RR SC. I just got the buyers order today and noticed that it has my deal as a finance purchase. I have an email and voicemail out to the dealer for an explanation as this was not part of the discussion when I put my deposit in, but this isn't the first time I've come across this.

Two other dealers I spoken to in NY Tri-State area have both said that any purchase had to be done through finance or lease. One of the SA's even went so far as to say that none of his customers have had a problem with that - which i find incredibly hard to believe.

I find it hard to understand and have never come across such a situation where I had to finance or lease a car. Has anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
Obviously they want the interest! Greedy Stealers!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have never heard of this ... I'm pretty sure there are consumer protections in place that no company has the right to tell you how to pay for your purchase of their product. This is bordering on the ridiculous ... I would tell them they can have your money on you terms or not have it at all, and if they insist I would walk away from all of them

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never heard of this ... I'm pretty sure there are consumer protections in place that no company has the right to tell you how to pay for your purchase of their product. This is bordering on the ridiculous ... I would tell them they can have your money on you terms or not have it at all, and if they insist I would walk away from all of them
One of the dealers had a couple of RRs on the lot. Oddly they are the only dealer in the area that has cars available. They were charging msrp but they were set on lease or finance. I walked away from that dealership.

I thought it was ridiculous. I was already willing to pay msrp but then to tell me how I was supposed to pay seemed overstepping to me.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
The new cars I have purchased have each been "cash" deals. All three times it became a sticky issue with financing being pushed. I said I was more than happy to finance myself for one payment and would be happy to deal with another dealership if the did not like this option. On one deal I had to call in the regional manager to put an end to the push for financing.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
That makes our LA area dealers seem much better!!! That is ridiculous. If they do agree to do a cash deal, I would be very tempted to show up with a bag full of $1 bills for the purchase 8-0= :-D. I would send an email or make a call to LR corporate with a complaint.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
One Nigerian guy showed up at my dealer with $160K cash apparently because another dealer had refused to sell him the car because he wasn't a permanent resident of the US but he was convinced it was because they thought he didn't have money to buy one and would split after "buying" one. It appears dealer was afraid probably rightly too that he intended to ship the car to Nigeria, but he thought it was a money issue, so he went to the bank and withdrew cash. They called the cops and apparently it made for a rather interesting situation.

Anyway just "finance" and make sure there is no pre-payment penalty and pay it off on the first payment. `)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Paying without financing and paying in cash are two different things. I paid MSRP for my RR in full with a check up front with no financing. That's not the same as me showing up with a duffle bag full of bills. It's a fully transparent documented financial transaction. There's not a vendor in the world that could make me pay interest on something if I do not wish to.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's completely absurd. If they force it to be a financed purchase, there's nothing stopping the buyer from sending in the first payment right away for the full purchase price, which at most would have a very small amount of interest. There's no way they can force you to ride out the term of the loan.

It really amazes me some of the things I've been reading here over the last few months regarding nightmares with the purchase process with some dealers. These dealers need to wake up and realize that the supply/demand curve won't be in their favor forever and if they piss off enough people, they're going to have a hard time moving inventory when supply eventually catches up with demand.

Except maybe for an extremely exotic, very low production item, there's no way I would do any of the following:

1) Agree to pay more than MSRP.
2) Be forced to finance or lease when I'm prepared to pay CASH for the item.
3) Be forced to sign an agreement indicating that I won't resell the item I purchased for some period of time.

The Range Rover just isn't an extremely exotic, very low production item. Here in the Boston area, you see tons of them on the road and I suspect it's the same in many other parts of the country (at least in most of the major metro areas). In comparison, I rarely see a G-Wagon other than mine around here and there was none of this BS when I traded my 2014 RR in for my 2014 G-Wagon. Of course, there was none of this BS when I purchased the 2014 RR from Land Rover Peabody (Massachusetts) or I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

I'm not going to suggest that a G-Wagon is a better choice than a RR for everyone, because the 2 vehicles are very different. But I would suggest that people running into these purchasing nightmares explore other options before committing to something you're not comfortable with. Vote with your wallets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to wait to find out from the dealer what the deal is. If financing or leasing is a must, i will either call LR corporate or just find another dealer. I'm hoping that maybe it's just something that is automatically inputted into the system and it's no big deal. Had I not been told about the mandatory finance/lease from other dealers, I wouldn't have thought much of it to be honest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new cars I have purchased have each been "cash" deals. All three times it became a sticky issue with financing being pushed. I said I was more than happy to finance myself for one payment and would be happy to deal with another dealership if the did not like this option. On one deal I had to call in the regional manager to put an end to the push for financing.
Did the dealership give you a reason as to why they wanted you to finance?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have to fill out a finance application when buying in full before.
Excuse was that it's to make sure the check clear (buying on a weekend).

It was a one-month finance deal after the check cleared a few days later. Pink slip came a couple of weeks later. Weird. Credit score didn't take a hit either.

-ThinkMac-

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Did the dealership give you a reason as to why they wanted you to finance?
All three cases were because it would "save me money" as they had special rates and savings. Bullplop.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just placed an order a few days ago for a RR SC. I just got the buyers order today and noticed that it has my deal as a finance purchase. I have an email and voicemail out to the dealer for an explanation as this was not part of the discussion when I put my deposit in, but this isn't the first time I've come across this.

Two other dealers I spoken to in NY Tri-State area have both said that any purchase had to be done through finance or lease. One of the SA's even went so far as to say that none of his customers have had a problem with that - which i find incredibly hard to believe.

I find it hard to understand and have never come across such a situation where I had to finance or lease a car. Has anyone else come across this?
Which dealer did you order your car from?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Southampton - owned by same group as Glen Cove and Huntington but each have their own allocations
The reason I ask is because we ordered one as well - in the beginning to mid July (I forgot the date). We were quoted a delivery date of anywhere between Feb and APRIL!

We did not get any paperwork since leaving a deposit.

What is a buy order? Can you take a picture of it and post it? Black out any personal information.

We want to make sure the dealer is not placing our name further and further down the list as regular customers of theirs place orders. It was our first time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I ask is because we ordered one as well - in the beginning to mid July (I forgot the date). We were quoted a delivery date of anywhere between Feb and APRIL!

We did not get any paperwork since leaving a deposit.

What is a buy order? Can you take a picture of it and post it? Black out any personal information.

We want to make sure the dealer is not placing our name further and further down the list as regular customers of theirs place orders. It was our first time.
I was given a delivery of around April/May. They are a pretty small dealership

Here's what I got from them. For what it's worth, I have gotten something similar (a little less handwritten) when I have ordered other cars (non LR). I don't know if this is the standard with LR, other members will have to speak to that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Definitely not standard @ Land Rover. Never seen this form before. I've also never been forced or pushed towards anything at the dealers here in NH. The payment question doesn't even come up before the delivery. The P&S isn't signed before delivery either. Come to think of it, whenever I leave a deposit with them, I only get the creditcard slip... But they stopped asking for deposit after I think the 3rd car I bought from them.

One reason can be, having given it some thought, some sort of tax accounting maybe? Since we don't have that up here, maybe that part of the paperwork makes it a bit more complicated in other states.

What I personally don't like is that they take no credit card for the full amount - that would be some good free nights at a hotel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's the standard form from Land Rover Long Island dealerships. I actually didn't get my most recent one until a week or so before the car actually was delivered. But I also didn't go to the dealership or sign anything when I ordered it. It was all via email.
Good to know. I also ordered via email and phone and he just emailed this to me to confirm the options.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts