RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover MkIII / L322
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken the plunge and started a fulltime Range Rover repair facility in Cape Town, South Africa. We dont have many members from SA on the forum but there are a lot of the vehicles on our roads so I hope to be able to attract some of them. I do know that many owners have complaints about the current service offered so perhaps some will be willing to test my services. Its a big risk but its something I need to do as I have been toying with the idea for many years.

Being home every night instead of flying to all sorts of non exotic destinations around the world is also a big bonus.

I have set up a fairly basic web site describing what I am offering so please can you comment on what you think.

http://www.p38diagnostics.com/

I need criticism in order to improve - and I have got a thick skin :doh:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Nice website. Good luck for the business :clap:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I can vouch for the excellent work Ghur does at his workshop his knowledge is astounding and workmanship is first class always goes the extra mile and take no short cuts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Best of luck, I wish you success!

I took a quick look at your website, I like the layout. Nice graphics yet simple to navigate.

Trying to think of constructive criticism......I do have a question, on the home page under the p38 sketch you have your "mission statement" so to speak. I am curious as to why you only refer to the 4.6 HSE and not the lesser models? Perhaps I'm just ignorant of what is offered in the P38 line in S.A - do you guys see 4.0's/SE's ? Or DSE's? Just something to consider if a Rangie owner who doesn't have an HSE would read that and perhaps shy away. My father in law still can't figure out if my p38 is a Range Rover, Land Rover, Land Cruiser or Lawn Mower, much less if it is a 4.0 or 4.6 or SE or what. So I guess we can't assume non-enthusiasts know anything.... :D

Other comments - I like your "Who am I tale, I'd be inclined to perhaps throw your first name somewhere on the site, perhaps on that page, so folks who call know if they are talking to the owner or not. Make a personal connection. I like to talk to any mechanic or service person who works on my vehicles, know their name, a little about what makes them tick.

- if you have time to perhaps put together a tech article or two to show off what you know - try to impress prospective clients.
-testimonials can be helpful
-Some pics of your project trucks

That's about all I can think of, I hope you find some of this useful.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I realise now that I should have included the other P38 variants on the home page. I appreciate the pointers and welcome any other ideas. Its my first web site and have received a lot of help from my brother who is a computer guru but there are always things that are overlooked.

Will do some changes tommorrow.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Spell check
I would think that the part
... maintanance we will ...

will be better written
...maintenance. We will...

Very best of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Good luck. Ive started a set up here in the states and have had fun so far.

If I ever find myself in South Africa I will swing by :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Isnt it about time us "Indies" had our own bit of the forum to moan about LR products on ?
Seconded. :thumb:

I think a therapy forum may be applicable... ;)

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
There's no way my smelling is worse than yours! :dance:

The car appears to run well on my MAF. I'm going to reset the adaptives and run it down to get some petrol in the tank. Why are all LPG car's petrol tanks empty??? :snooty: Then just take it on a drive for half an hour and see what happens. I think you are right about the airleak. I can't find one. Other than this single point LPG system, the weak point is the MAF. It runs really nicely on my MAF.

Are equicar the best place to look for a SAGEM MAF? I had a breaker offer me one for £80 inc VAT and delivery.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After all the build up and money spent the first guy to pull up to my workshop is in a Freelander. "But I thought all Land Rovers were the same he says". So I was forced to fix it for him but it nearly had me in tears a couple of times and I kept my main door closed in case a P38 saw me.
My wife has a Freelander and they are not bad cars but its not a Range Rover.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Its going to be hard to survive off just P38s. I would do all LR products and alittle Jag stuff. That should keep you busy enough to bring on another tech. :thumb:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will be playing it by ear initially. I dont want to bog down with too much other work at the expense of P38's. There is so much business out there but it needs to be filtered carefully but will see how things progress.

My diagnostics only do P38s and for now its too costly to include all Landies. I want to be able to offer a complete service on whatever I work on without having to farm anything out.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
What always was a problem for me was that most LR owners seem to have more than one car,often not the same model.If you do a good service those people will want you to look after their other LR's too.Tying yourself to one model could prove hard,plus you will never get every P38 in your area,nor satisfy every person who you work for - however good a service you provide.The other problem is that P38's are getting old and being scrapped,so the scope for work will tail off.
If you are serious about your garage diagnostic equipment need not break the bank,there is alot more competition than in 2003 when I was one of the first Indies to buy Testbook.(At a cost of nearly £11000 inc Vat) There are lots more choices now.
Working on one model would bore me to tears,yesterday for instance I had an 05 L322 TD6 in then a 1956 series one,tomorrow is one of those horrible Disco 3's. I really dont like them but it stops the boredom !

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Hes right about once people trust a mechanic they will bring everything they own with a motor on it to you for repair. I will invest in atleast the capibility to bring on all LR products. You could also outsource you dignostic work to another shop with the equipment. It may be putting money in your competiors pocket but it will expand your market.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts