RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
d566b7b0-34f4-4b71-a2c1-0a5e061d9160.jpg a144c6f5-f852-4efc-a673-a3f56a2f8258.jpg

Hi Guys!

I used to be a member on here when I had my previous LWB (2014 model). I loved the car so much that I've bought another with the updated model and this is what I specced out! The colour is Ultra Desire Metallic and is basically black at night but a dark black purple colour in the sun. I'm so happy with how it has turned out.

I had a few questions with regards to connectivity/rear media:

1) I have the sim card and it's all set up. I want to connect to the wifi, so I've connected my phone to the car wifi and then turned on the hotspot. The hotspot seems to be using a lot of Data very quickly. Do I need the hotspot on for the wifi to work as I'm on the road?

2) The rear media- I'd love to put netflix via chromecast or Amazon Firestick. Has anyone done this? How does it work?

3) What else do you guys use the media for apart from web browsing in the front and TV etc. Any other tricks with this new car?

I'm absolutely in love with it and the service from RR was fantastic again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, that color spec looks GREAT!!

Regarding the WiFi, I am not sure which country you are in (I know it is not the US judging from the headlights) but I have found that I am better off using my phone’s data plan, but for connecting laptops or kids’ iPads I will use the car’s hot spot.

If you connect your phone to the WiFi, you phone may use a lot of data as it tries to download emails, or updates, etc. In the US, most people use ATT for their data and you are capped. Some individuals (myself included) have added their vehicles to “unlimited” data plans, but the carrier can throttle down the speeds after a certain amount of data.

I have used the in-car WiFi for an Apple TV and it seemed to work well for streaming on road trips, I think a chromecast or fire stick would work the same.

I have never used the in-vehicle media for web browsing and unfortunately we do not get a TV tuner in the US, so I cant help you on the 4th point.

Enjoy the vehicle, I have never seen that color in person, but the pictures look amazing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all

I’m from the UK. Today I tried to add chrome cast in the rear but it just wouldn’t sync up.

I can’t recommend this colour enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard of people getting Netflix on the rear screens but I haven't seen it myself (or know how to do it).

So a few issues I've had with technology only (the rest of the car is a dream):

1) The Range Rover Route Planner doesn't work at all? No option to send nav directions to the car and thinks my car is always home

2) Apple Car play is giving an echo to people I talk on the phone to? Has anyone else had this problem?

3) Hotspot data goes within seconds if I connect my phone. It seems pointless?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've got a quick update after visiting my dealer

1) route planner- pointless and no one uses it. Doesn’t work properly.

2) if you do a remote start or use the pre-heat fob, the apple carplay messes up. Just restart the engine before using it. Annoying but it works.

3) I have amazon prime, Netflix, YouTube and Alexa! Just plugged in a fire stick with a usb power lead to hdmi firestick and it works! Unlimited data sim and now my first class seat is complete!

IMG_7785.jpg image1.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
293 Posts
I have the same seats and use a driver pretty often. I wasn’t able to get a Firestick to work, so I’m using a Roku which works very well.

The apple car play bug with remote start was fixed in the 18D software update. And I actually do use the route planner quite often to plan more complex routes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you clarify what number 3 is? fire stick with a usb power lead to hdmi firestick? picture maybe? Thanks!
Sorry I think I was so excited that I didn't explain it properly.

In the rear middle compartment I have two HDMI slots and 2 USB slots. I simply connected a firestick to one of the HDMI slots and then bought a separate USB Power cable that goes from the firestick to one of the USB slots.

I then went to the source on the RR system where it said HDMI2 and the firestick was working. I've inserted an unlimited data sim card in the front and it's working perfectly everywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same seats and use a driver pretty often. I wasn’t able to get a Firestick to work, so I’m using a Roku which works very well.

The apple car play bug with remote start was fixed in the 18D software update. And I actually do use the route planner quite often to plan more complex routes.
Thank you, I hope it fixes the car play bug as it's still so annoying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts