RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do we make of this:

Land Rover has confirmed that a production version of its LRX concept car will be built.

The new car will debut next year and join the Range Rover line-up in 2011.

Is it aimed at the BMW X6 ?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If were heading two door Coupe then I prefer this:

New York-based jewelry designers Tiret and British auto designers LSE, known for their two-door Range Rover conversions, have worked together to build the new Tiret Coupe. Based on the Range Rover Sport, the Tiret model is built with “diamonds and Swiss precision,” along with other luxe materials.

Bling or what 8)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think this is just another step toward Land Rover/Rang Rover loosing there Timeless design train of thought. I dont like the though of it, I liked that there were only a few choices, quit adding and adding.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Isn't the LRX going to be the baby Range Rover, so there will be three "Range Rovers" although like the Sport being a pimped Disco, the LRX will be a pimped freeloader.

I'm going to bet it wont have EAS and basically is going to be a bit poo. It also means a whole load of people will be able to buy a brand new Range Rover for 30k, the peasants will revolt....

Blerb from AutoCar:

The final production version of the Range Rover LRX could be unveiled on 17 June next year, according to Land Rover sources.

The premium compact SUV will finally be given the go-ahead for production by the end of the year, insiders have told Autocar. Production would probably begin in early 2011.

See the Land Rover LRX picture gallery

The June date is being considered because it will mark exactly 40 years since the original Range Rover was first revealed to the public.

The LRX would be positioned as the new, more environmentally friendly face of Range Rover as part of the brand’s 40th anniversary.

It’s expected that the styling of the final version of the LRX will differ from the concept. The car will also have the option of a hybrid drivetrain, which could be standard on more expensive versions.

The LRX is based on the same basic transverse engine platform as the Freelander and will be built at that model’s home, the Halewood factory on Merseyside.

The hybrid version of the LRX will probably use an electrically driven rear axle, which will work in combination with the engine-driven front wheels.

The LRX will arrive at a time when most industry analysts expect new car buyers in western Europe to embrace the concept of downsizing, with upmarket vehicles in the Golf class (B segment) becoming particularly popular.

As part of this, sales of the largest SUVs are expected to be hit hard in the EU, although they will remain popular in the Middle East and other developing markets.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think LR is losing direction - the show is now run by marketing rather than engineers. The latest LR4/RRS and RR can't take anything smaller than a 19" wheel - yet is meant to be a serious 4x4? Reason - the big brakes look good behind big wheels, nothing to do with stopping ability. They're going to end up devaluing the Range Rover name if the LRX really is based on the FL2.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sad attempt to increase overall volume and meet fuel efficiency standards at the expense of brand equity. A la "range rover" sport. A fine car but should have been called the LR Sport.

·
Banned
93 Posts
both RR and Jag are going down market, with the result that they are now as common as bimmers, benz and lexus in some areas. i can't stand the sight of the baby jag x-type anymore, one time i even saw an x-type wagon :snooty:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
Re: New Range Rover LRX Coupe

the 12/2009 German Car Magazine AutoBild (Allroad supplement) says that the LRX will become the entry level of the RR range, followed by the LR2. As sales of LR/Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sport are very low (only 600 RRS sold compared to 2500 in 2008), they are completely rethinking the range, there will be no Disco 5 and a new RRS (L494) will be produced from 2014 together with the new Range Rover (L405) on a common spaceframe platform, sharing parts like the Touareg/Cayenne or the ML/GL do.
The actual Discovery/RRS platform is too heavy and will be terminated. There will be a new Defender and possibly a 7-seat Freelander (Ventura?) will replace the Disco.

There's even a drawing of the FFRR4:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts