Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a 03 RR vogue (UK based). It is the 4.4 petrol and I love it.

I really did not want my first post to be a load of questions but....unfortunatly it is.

We were at the beach last week end. On the drive home the warning light came on (exclamation mark in a circle). The display reads 'check brake pads'.

I have done some reseach and I am going to have a go myself!!!!

I have found the video walkthrough etc, however I have some more questions.

I assume it is the front pads but is there any guarentee? Should I replace all the pads?

There has got to be a wear sensor of some sort - do these commonly fail or need replacement? Also will the indicator and error message clear itself when new pads are fitted?

Do I need or should I bleed the brakes at the same time (pedal feels a little soft but but that might be due to thin pads?)

I like the idea of the EBC greenstuff pads (fronts about £75 rears about £58). Opinions please!!!

Finally any hints or tips to make this go smoothly!!

Thanks in advance

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RRPhil said:
Hi Dan & welcome to the Forum.

Regarding the pad wear sensors, you will need to replace whichever of the two sensors (front or rear) has activated the warning light. The light will reset itself after a little while after replacement.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35018&p=271153

Phil
Superb - thank you. Is it tricky replacing the sensor and are they expensive?

Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
RRDanRR said:
RRPhil said:
Hi Dan & welcome to the Forum.

Regarding the pad wear sensors, you will need to replace whichever of the two sensors (front or rear) has activated the warning light. The light will reset itself after a little while after replacement.
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 8&p=271153

Phil
Superb - thank you. Is it tricky replacing the sensor and are they expensive?

Cheers
Hi mate, welcome to the forum

As you have the UK spec i can confirm that there are only 2 brake pad wear sensors the front on is on the passenger side front wheel and the rear sensor is on the driver side rear wheel. To change the front wear sensor, you need to remove the wheel then the sensor is the thin wire coming from the center area of the back of the caliper, it just clips in its holder, sometimes the wheel wears through the sensor wire and cause it to register as the check brake pad message, the sensor plugs into a socket inside a small black box on the wheel arch, its just a case of unplugging the old sensor from socket and unclipping it from the caliper and reconnecting the new sensor. Take care to insure that the cable is propperly cliped back so it does not rub on the wheel when turing.

The rear sensor is a bit more complicated, as you not only have to remove the rear wheel but you have to remove the rear wheel arch to get to the sensors connection socket, if its the rear wheel thats the problem i suggest that you download a copy of RAVE the Land Rover Workshop manuals it has detailed instructions on how to do this procedure.

In some cases it might be that your pads are fine but the wheel has worn through the sensor wire and is causing the message to show, this is what happened on my range rover, the pads were fine just had to replace the sensor which was around £10

Good Luck and if you need any other help let us know.

Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dan, just done mine (all round).

Ordered the brakes bits from Brake Parts.co.uk
Got the OE stuff. Was just over £250 all round. I also did the handbrake shoes.
The car has 2 brake sensors. 1 on the front and one on the back. I got the sensors off E-bay.
They fall to bits when you try and remove them - so I would advise you get new sensors.

Its an easy job (so long as no stuck bolts!) and so long as you have the right tools it should not take more than a day tops. Took me about 5 hours to do all 4 corners.

The hand brake shoes are a bit of a pig though. So I would maybe inspect them and consider leaving them to a mechanic if you are not sure. There are a couple of springs that are quite tricky to get back on and needs a fair bit of muscle power!

If you need any advice please PM me and I will do my best. I am in Manchester. Ta!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI,
Thanks for all you advice.

Job done last weekend. :dance:

Ordered pattern parts (britpart and mintex) from a fab company called ISLAND4x4. I could not fault price, delivery or service - would recommend. All in inc front and rear sensors was £168.

Anyway I now have drilled and grooved disks and mintex pads all round. How big and heavy are the discs!!!!

Everything went quite smoothly. I have not done discs and pads before. Although a few lessons learnt from working on Land Rovers (as apposed to my previous sports cars) - need taller jacks and axle stands!!! It took me the first hour just to get the car in the air and the wheel off the ground. - I fully understand the term 'wheel articulation'.....

While I was there I also painted the calipers satin black (although it really looks matt) and put the black Land Rover centre caps in to replace the very tatty green ones.

Happy with the performance so far. There is a bit of noise on gentle braking at low speed but I hope that will go when they have bedded in. The pedal still feels a little too soft so I will probably bleed the system next weekend to see if that improves things.

Quite enjoyed the whole experience....thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.