RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently became the owner of an 1987 Classic with the 3.5 injected gas engine. My first question is this an interference engine? I had to pull the distributor to fix some oil leaks and replace belts and now I can't get it to start to time it. What's the worst that can happen if the timing is 180 degrees off?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Removing the distributor doesn't change the valve timing. I presume this is what you are refering to about interference?

Do you know how to check the rotor is in the right position at firing TDC on No 1?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I was really trying to find out is if the timing was 180 degrees off and I tried to start it, could I in any way bend valves? My brother GAVE me this really nice Classic and I really love the way it drives and don't want to hurt it but the throttle response is really poor and sluggish. I had time to really look it over today and found the rotor pointing to somewhere between #2 and #7 at TDC. It sure does run better now!

·
Registered
523 Posts
You can damage valves if the valve timing is wrong, but the ignition timing doesn't affect anything mechanical, it just won't run.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to be late posting a reply but thanks for the responses! Rovie is now running well again. I love driving this unique little truck! This forum has been a great resource for a new owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts