Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Range Rover Sport HSE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a 2009 RRS HSE delivered to my house a hour ago. First mistake, not telling the wife I had bought one. It looks good and did not cost much so there is that. I have always wanted one, even with the high maintenance cost. I have three issues so far. Low coolant level , Low Washer Fluid and Parking Brake Fault. Since I have the service PDFs I will work on that this week.
Fun Fun Fun. Now to tell the dog which side of the doghouse I get.

Dwight
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 Dynamic HSE Lux Fuji White on Ebony & Ivory
700 Posts
Nice move on not telling the spousal unit. “What Range Rover Sport? No, no, that’s a post op Toyota Prius that identifies as a Range Rover Sport. Don’t you know we have to be sensitive to these things now a days?” Just hope she doesn’t misidentify your head as a baseball.

Low coolant can be a bad sensor, only correct fix is replacing the entire reservoir since the sensor is integrated. If you don’t mind checking the coolant regularly, just unplug the sensor and the warning will go away. Just remember you have no warning if the system starts leaking while you’re driving.

Washer fluid is a similar situation, but I think the sensor can be replaced. Or try filling it up since the light comes on a ways before running out.

EPB fault, the common ones are lack of service or lack of use. Lack of service will be it overextended and got stuck. Lack of use will be it seized up. You can take the unit off and take it apart to try to repair it, I think there are a few tutorials for it. Otherwise its a rather spendy new unit.

And why would you sleep in the doghouse when you can put the back seats down and sleep in the RRS, I mean Prius?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think I will be ok. Spousal unit liked the color and the dog had her house to herself. I fixed the washer fluid error by putting in half a gallon of fluid. I will keep an eye on leaks since the car was serviced in March. I may get some time today to look at the coolant levels and reservoir. My neighbor has a Land Rover and likes working on them in his fully equip garage, so we will have some quality time working on each others cars. I was surprised that the center console cool box was not installed. There are many on eBay so not a problem.

Dwight

·
Registered
700 Posts
I installed the cool box in mine, very easy to do. Everything is already there, Just need to remove the center console panel with the shifter and remove the lid. They’re not for everyone, but I personally find it handy for keeping small cold things cold.

I wish mine had a couple other features, but I’m happy with it how it is. Except for the front rotors I just put on, those are going in the trash and getting some new Brembo rotors this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got out and installed the cool box in mine today. Looking at the videos on Youtube it was an easy job, and I made it easier by not unplugging the plugs under the center console. There was enough play to let me get to the two screws that held in the box. I went on a quick run and the cool box got nice and cold. All cars should have them. I also freed up the cover that goes over the cup holder. Apparently someone had spilled a drink which became sticky and prevented the cover from moving. I replaced the 10 amp fuse that controlled the outside mirrors folding. Simple fix. The CD player has an error about a stuck CD and to push the eject button but the button is not responsive. Not sure how to get into the CD player and fix that issue. I had hoped that the car came with heated seats but it didn't. I will check to see if they are wired and the control is not installed. Winter is coming.

Dwight

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sounds like some good progress.

I have spent the last two weekends with mine fixing assorted things at the shop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine had a CD jammed inside the unit. Had to take the radio out and get inside the unit.
With the procedure to load cds previous owner just jammed one in. Got a bunch of indi cds out of it. Now works fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have kept putting off removing the radio to fix the cd. I don't listen to many and do not miss not having them but I guess I will need to sit down and fix the thing.

I pulled up the back seats and discovered 13 years of junk from the previous owner. The straps to unlock the seats were tucked under the seat so they never opened them. Shop vac to the rescue.

Dwight

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was successful in fixing the CD player. The eject button and the two buttons on the left were not working. I had to remove the center console and loosen up the screws holding the environment controls to give enough play to remove the CD player. The Radio front cover is held on by two screws on top. You then have to pry the front off of several knobs holding it in place. Carefully! There are two ribbon cables, way too short for their own good, holding the front cover to the main body. If you have small hands you can put the ribbon cables back after you are finished. If not, the replacement CD players on eBay are not too expensive. Removing the ribbon cables, you next have to unscrew a million screws holding the circuit board and you are now able to see the switches. Very poor design. The switches push a thin plastic rod that then pushes the button on the circuit board. The plastic rod breaks after a lot of use. I cut some steel staples to 1/2 inch or so and put them in the groves for the two stitches on the left. As for the eject button, I cut a piece of plastic hose used on a spray can to 1/2 inch and set it in the slot where the missing rod was. I put the front cover and circuit board back together and tested. All buttons worked. After a few minutes I was able to get the ribbon cables seated and locked in place and put the player in the car. Everything worked great. I now am able to insert CDs and eject them.

Dwight

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well done! It’s those little fixes and tweaks I’m always happiest with.

Next up you’ll be making the rear map lights work with the doors. That’s a pretty easy and very worthwhile little job I’m sure a person of your skills can tackle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts