RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New owner of a P38 4.6 HSE 1999 in the UK. Its a beauty apart from the sacrilege of replacing the airbags with coils. I want to replace the coils with ideally Gen 3 Arnotts. I have had a check and the compressor is there still and looks ok but is there anyway I can test it before ordering the new bags? If its a new compressor as well it may have to be Gen 2 for the mo to save on cost. Any other advice on things to check in regards to restoring the suspension, I was also considering swapping the shocks for Bilsteins, whats the opinion of this?
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
It all depends on how much de-modding was done.

It sounds like the previous owner simply pulled the bags and fitted coils, so it would point to an existing problem with the installed setup in the car.
I'd have a rummage under the car for the pipes and see if they are still there and intact, and find an OBD reader to try and see WHY it went to coils and start by addressing that while you can still drive the car, because if you take it off the coils and there are unknown issues then you are stuck with a dead car until you fix it.

When I bought my P38 it was on coils and had the warning bypass in the glove box. The lines had also been cut off where they reached the firewall, so it was a real bodge job the previous guy did.
I found a guy that wanted coils on a local forum and we swapped out the bits we needed and I fitted it all and an emergency fill kit at the same time, and it didn't work....:confused:
It turned out my ECU was the problem with stored faults, and once I got them cleared, it was perfect.

·
Super Moderator
2,077 Posts
Well done on doing the right thing and going back to EAS but why Arnotts? Gen 3s only give an advantage if you change the shocks and modify the height sensors to allow the car to be lifted higher and Gen 2s are allegedly as reliable as a chocolate teapot. Particularly when original Dunlops are only £50 a corner from Island 4x4 there seems to be no good reason why you would go for anything else. Treat the compressor to a new seal, get yourself a cable and the free EAS Unlock software so you can reset the ECU and you are likely to find it will all just work.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I like Dunlop bags over Arnots, seem better made and last better. I tried Bilstein shocks and didn't care for them on the P38. Bilstein is a great company and build quality is good, but their experience is more on the sports car side of the world. They didn't seem to be valved correctly on the ones I had. OEM replacements are good shocks and IMO, there's nothing to gain by changing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts