RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been scouring these forums for the last few weeks, both leading up to my purchase of a 2011 RRS SC and after, trying to find solutions for a few, hopefully, simple issues. Vehicle has just under 70k miles and was originally owned in or around Palm Springs, CA. I'm located in Denver, CO and hope to put all those wonderful rover capabilities to good use. I did purchase a 36/36k warranty for the power train, electrical and suspension components. Does not cover bags or compressor, but most of the remainder.

Vehicle currently presents with a rattle that seems to originate from the center console, under the drive selector/cup holders. I think I can actually feel the rattle through the selector, but it could be in my head. The rattle is pretty loud at low speeds, while on the gas or coasting. It gets progressively worse as the car warms up. It stops when hit the brakes hard, and is virtually nonexistent at highway speeds (over 50mph). Buddy of mine diagnosed it as a loose spring/cover in/on the supercharger and the vibration transfers to the transmission. This doesn't strike me as too believable, but he found some kind of repair bulletin on the issue, however I was unable to find the same diagnosis from my own research. Any suggestions?

Smaller issue relates to the driver seat. Bottom cushion slides forward +/-5mm, though passenger side has no movement. Are there clips that hold the bottom seat cushion in place? Are these known to break?

Other than the above, most everything appears easy to address. There is a lot of squeaking/creaking in the suspension when going over moderate bumps or dips at an angle - I attribute this to bad anti sway bar bushings and plan to have them replaced. Anything else I should look at for this?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice. I'm excited to be a part of this board and the LR community.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the SC isolator has failed, and is making noise, however what you've described doesn't really match symptoms. This will make noise when just idling in Park, no vehicle speed necessary, and will also present a noticeable double knock/cluck when shutting the engine off.

If it is only while in motion, I would start by inspecting the driveline for anything loose, or touching a driveshaft, and go from there.

The seat cushion is attached to the seat base, and could have been left loose if a previous repair was made, but I haven't seen one just get loose on its own. Is it just the cushion or is the whole seat shifting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll double check the driveshaft. I was pretty sure nothing was loose or rattling underneath, but this is my first RR so I'm still finding my way around. Definitely doesn't rattle unless the vehicle is moving, so it's worth a second check.

I'm pretty sure the seat cushion itself is moving. When i looked at it again yesterday I noticed the plastic panel covering the seat brackets is pretty exposed. Not sure if that's just the position i have the seat in, or if something is amiss. I'll check again to make sure it's just the cushion and not the entire seat.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out you were right on the drive shaft. Bad dust-cover or something on the UJoint? That's what another mechanic told me. He swapped it out with a used one from $250. No more rattle.

I just ordered a new drivers side seat cushion and will be attempting to replace the existing (and exhausted) one in a week or so. That should give me a better view of the seat bottom to determine what might make it feel so loose. Keep ya posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts