RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up this Range Rover.

I had been looking and doing tons of research. I decided that based on many factors this one was the best bet for me. Maintenance, condition, accessories, etc. I liked the 1987 because it didn't have air suspension and it had the old Lt230 transfer case. Call me old school, but I like simple.

It has high mileage (around 363,000 miles), but the Engine was swapped for a rebuilt and blueprinted/balanced 3.9L around 200k miles by a specialty shop out in Seattle. It has also had a new transmission and transfer case rebuild in the last 40k miles.

I tallied up some of the receipts that came with it and it has roughly $22k in service and upgrades, not including the engine rebuild. It also has cloth seats which I felt were a better fit for me. For one, I don't have to redo any old cracked leather.

I feel like I did well and it will be a good solid truck.

Some immediate issues I need to address are:

Transmission won't seat fully into Park which I assume is A.) a coin or B.) a cable adjustment;

A/C does not work so I am looking at getting that repaired;

Which compressor is best for this year? Looking at a Sanden SD709 now.

I'm going to be using this car as a semi-daily driver, so I will likely sell off the rare Hannibal rack. Any ideas what these go for today? All my research says they have been off the market for a long time. Do they fit other models?

RR1.jpg RR8.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
51 Posts
First off very nice purchase! It was a grey 1987 that got me into these cars I the first place. This is the first classic I've seen with more miles on it than mine (250k) guess I've got some catching up to do. I don't know much about the Hannibal racks but I do know the brown church racks (which are fairly similar in price new) sell for around $500-$1000 used depending on condition. If you do end up selling it I may be interested depending on the price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Tralston, Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for my lack of response, but I have been busy traveling with work. I have not had the chance to even touch my Range rover yet! It's killing me haha.

I am already making a list of things to do when I get in. I have purchased quite a few older cars and normally as preventative maintenance I do the following:

Flush radiator and change coolant
Change both differential fluids
Transmission filter, fluid, etc.
Oil change
Brake fluid flush

I figure this stuff is cheap and I can have it done in a day. I need to pick up one of those vacuum bleeders for the brakes or else I'm going to have to recruit someone to help me out.

I'll likely sell the roof rack. I did more research and they are running right around $1650. When I get back home in July I will get some photos and if you are interested we can work something out. I factored the roof rack value into what I paid for the 87 plus shipping costs east and if I can recover half of my vehicle shipping I'd be comfortable with selling. Research shows the Hannibals are rare and I think $800 would be fair. I could help you swap it over onto your rover from mine too. I'm in the Helen, Georgia area, Google maps shows about 5 hour 10 mins away from Tallahassee. The area is totally worth a weekend trip if you haven't been, but I'm sure you have. Let me know if you have any interest.

You need to drive more to get that 250k up to where mine is! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update: I'm still traveling for work and haven't even laid hands on this beautiful classic yet, but I had a a friend of mine swing by and grab it. It's currently at his shop getting checked out. He said it was "blowing some black smoke and sluggish"....these words scared me as I had not yet touched the vehicle. A few days later he pings me back and says the plugs were gapped .070, but after he changed them with the proper gap all is well. He was also able to change the R134 fittings and the A/C is blowing cold now, with a leak check set for later in the week. So far so good! Even the shifter is working great. Initially it was having issues going into park and the previous owner told me he just left it in neutral with the ebrake. I saw receipts for a British Atlantic transmission less than 40,000 miles ago, so I assumed it was either linkage or something stuck in the console. Well I think the cross country shipping dislodged a coin or something because it goes right into park now.

Looking forward to driving her soon. Any reason someone would gap a plug .070 on these? I have a feeling the last owner's garage was scamming him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
nice truck! I have the exact same truck with the cloth interior too & no sunroof / no ABS 130k on the clock.. (speedo works too) love it too for the simplicity ..... wish it had cloth manual seats though`8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice truck! I have the exact same truck with the cloth interior too & no sunroof / no ABS 130k on the clock.. (speedo works too) love it too for the simplicity ..... wish it had cloth manual seats though`8)
I'm glad to have the cloth too, but wish they were manual as well. At 130k it seems like you have a ton of life left on your Rover! I honestly don't even know if mine has a sunroof! haha It seems there aren't many 87s out there. Have you seen many?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have parted out many in the past.... I do know where there is a very nice 97K Westminster grey 87 locally that is just sitting! he want's to sell (but is not advertising it anywhere) it but too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have parted out many in the past.... I do know where there is a very nice 97K Westminster grey 87 locally that is just sitting! he want's to sell (but is not advertising it anywhere) it but too rich for my blood.
I was looking on here and it says the number made for the U.S. market was 1,542. I have one and you have another, 1,540 left lol Now how many did you part out? :) I bet over half have been scrapped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@ Least 3 87's & 2 88's.. 4 or 5 89's .. no 90's .. have a 91... no 92's ... 4 93's ... 1 94 & @ least 6 95 LWB's yes sad I know.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
51 Posts
Looking forward to driving her soon. Any reason someone would gap a plug .070 on these? I have a feeling the last owner's garage was scamming him.[/QUOTE]

Someone may of just installed them and did not check...

Awesome looking truck, if you come across a parts 87 LMK I am looking for a center console! Might win the lotto first haha

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Least 3 87's & 2 88's.. 4 or 5 89's .. no 90's .. have a 91... no 92's ... 4 93's ... 1 94 & @ least 6 95 LWB's yes sad I know.
Very sad, but hopefully the parts are going to other more solid Rovers to help keep them on the road.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking forward to driving her soon. Any reason someone would gap a plug .070 on these? I have a feeling the last owner's garage was scamming him.
Someone may of just installed them and did not check...

Awesome looking truck, if you come across a parts 87 LMK I am looking for a center console! Might win the lotto first haha[/QUOTE]

I will have to look back at the receipts to see how much this specific shop did, but the owner before last had $22k in receipts and I think the bulk was at this last shop.... I find it hard to believe a specialty shop for Rovers would overlook the proper plug gap. At first glance some of the receipts seemed kind of odd, but it's been a while since I looked them over. Just makes me think this was done intentionally.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have been driving the new Rover daily. I went ahead and did a bunch of additional work and over the past few weeks I changed the transmission filter and fluid, the differential fluid, transfer case fluid, etc. It was a little bit of a learning curve. Having to remove the o2 sensors, exhaust, and cross member to drop the transmission pan doesn't seem well thought out either lol. I also thought the front axle swivel fluid reservoir was interesting. Just little things to learn. Oh! I learned I had cruise control 9 hours into a ten hour drive hahaha!

I drove from Georgia to Virginia and 48 miles from my final destination the power steering to alternator belt snapped. I went ahead and changed all the V-Belts.

I learned a lot of things about the Rover to date:

It needs a new shift linkage / cable. I adjusted it almost all the way out and it does go into Park now, but barely. When it's been on the highway and is hot the shifter gets tight ( I assume this is the old cable). I need new motor mounts. (Is this something that can be easily done by just jacking up the motor a bit?) The transfer case has very very slight drip. I asked a two local rover shops and one quoted me ten hours labor $1000 to reseal it + parts and the other said $1600. The first one said they all drip so don't worry about it. Does anyone know a good Rover mechanic? I'd pull the t case myself, but don't have the area or tools to do it. If I had proper oversight and a garage I'd attempt it.....Anyone local to Alexandria??? :)

I need to change the valve cover gaskets. It's been fun learning about the Rover and working out all the bugs. I am enjoying it and I am starting to trust the vehicle and it's reliability.

Lastly, I put a fresh coat of was and some new Cooper AT3 tires in 225 75 16 and they are sweet! I also bypassed the radio amplifier and actually get a good signal. I just ran some speaker wire in two directions linked to the coax antenna and it is great. Has anyone run an aftermarket antenna?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking good :)
Thanks!

Another question: I am going to do my valve covers this week. I checked on powder coating and it's $120 per cover with a 1.5-2 week turnaround locally.... I can't go without my vehicle for two weeks. Any other options? Can you polish these covers easily? Does high temp paint hold up? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMG_6324.jpg

Also for those interested, these are Cooper Discoverer AT3's 225/75R16 So far they look and ride great, but I have limited miles on them since Saturday. I'll provide a better review in a week or so.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It needs a new shift linkage / cable. I adjusted it almost all the way out and it does go into Park now, but barely. When it's been on the highway and is hot the shifter gets tight ( I assume this is the old cable).
Both of mine had shifters that were extremely hard to shift. I picked up a used one and cleaned & lubed... now it shifts like butter. If you have not, check at the shifter to make sure nothing is obstructing it inside.

Thanks!

Another question: I am going to do my valve covers this week. I checked on powder coating and it's $120 per cover with a 1.5-2 week turnaround locally.... I can't go without my vehicle for two weeks. Any other options? Can you polish these covers easily? Does high temp paint hold up? Thanks
You could pick up a used set to send out for coating. I've seen people paint them before but I'm not sure with what. I'm sure the google could tell you. Either way you go a used set will save you down time.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts