RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advance from some of you pros out there.

I just rebuilt my motor but I am stomped by this oil light. Before I start tearing it down again, looking for advice. After about 1/2 or so, it starts flickering at idle. There is no noise from the engine which now has 80 miles. I don't let it flicker for more than a few seconds before raising the revs to a little above idle.

Its a new Island 4x4 pump kit and everything was within specs. Packed pump with vaseline petroleum jelly as priming agent. The crank was turned and .010 bearings fitted. I am using 5-30 valvoline and I am wondering if that may be a little light for a rebuilt motor.

I am wondering if a thicker oil would solve the problem. I changed from a fram filer to a napa filter but same problem.

When I start it up, there is no valve noise or anything amiss and the idle is fine. After operating temp is reached, it is still fine. Its only after about 1/2 hr or so that the flickering starts and its not constant. It may flicker, go away for 30 seconds then come back in no particular pattern.

Any suggestions?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Sounds like bearings to me. Whenever I had this happen and everything else checked out fine, I replaced the rod/main bearings and all was good.
You can put a heavier oil in it sure, but you are masking the problem is all.
I run light Castrol oil with 201k miles on ours with no issues.....

Martin

·
Registered
50 Posts
main/rod bearings. i had the same problem on a rebuild i did once. did you plastigauge them? that's the only way to know the clearance for sure.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Not to sound like an arrogant azz or anything, but you have verified the oil pressure readings haven't you?

Martin

·
Registered
65 Posts
eahyatt said:
I need some advance from some of you pros out there.

I just rebuilt my motor but I am stomped by this oil light. Before I start tearing it down again, looking for advice. After about 1/2 or so, it starts flickering at idle. There is no noise from the engine which now has 80 miles. I don't let it flicker for more than a few seconds before raising the revs to a little above idle.

Its a new Island 4x4 pump kit and everything was within specs. Packed pump with vaseline petroleum jelly as priming agent. The crank was turned and .010 bearings fitted. I am using 5-30 valvoline and I am wondering if that may be a little light for a rebuilt motor.

I am wondering if a thicker oil would solve the problem. I changed from a fram filer to a napa filter but same problem.

When I start it up, there is no valve noise or anything amiss and the idle is fine. After operating temp is reached, it is still fine. Its only after about 1/2 hr or so that the flickering starts and its not constant. It may flicker, go away for 30 seconds then come back in no particular pattern.

Any suggestions?
Cheapest is to try a new oil light pressure switch. Never disregard the simplest solutions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
that's great. i assumed you had already replaced it. which switch type was it? the one or two pin?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
bonnychoo said:
Read the post above yours, I did ask if he had verified the oil pressure....so we will split the prize :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
deal mate! :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts