RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's Monday morrning, raining, got to go to work but the RR is still in bits, some help please :pray:

Spent 7 hour yesterday, following the sticky on here re the O rings, but what ever I try they still drip.

There is mention of a sealing compound, anyone know what it's called and where to get it?

I am in the UK, and I'm having to drive a 2CV untill this gets fixed. :oops:

SID.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
:think: What have you tried? Has your screw stripped? Is your pipe clamp or housing cracked? Did you get the pipes in backwards? There are several possible causes, but none of them should involve sealing compound unless something is busted up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It does rather sound like a crack or something - you really should not need sealant with O rings.

Certainly driving a 2CV is not good!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys, I did it by the book, the screw was not tight when I undid it, the old O rings were flat and broke up when I removed them. I did not take the pipes out of the car and noted that they have a cut out to help alignment. Some thing has just hit me though, should I have lubricated the O rings with silicon before install ?

SID.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
waveydavey said:
It does rather sound like a crack or something - you really should not need sealant with O rings.

Certainly driving a 2CV is not good!
The 2CV was not that bad, no wet feet due to O rings.....just a wet head, right arm, sholder....don't drive a 2CV in the rain :mrgreen:

SID.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A bit of silicone grease (or if you don't have it then washing up liquid) never hurts as it massively reduces the risk of moving or twisting the O ring as you push the pipe in.

If the old ones were broken up did you clean out the housing well? A bit of crud will easily let an O ring leak.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
waveydavey said:
A bit of silicone grease (or if you don't have it then washing up liquid) never hurts as it massively reduces the risk of moving or twisting the O ring as you push the pipe in.

If the old ones were broken up did you clean out the housing well? A bit of crud will easily let an O ring leak.
Thanks!!!!

Washing up liquid it is then, I will also check for crud.

If I ever get to Cape Town, the beer is on me :thumb:

SID.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, it's Sunday morning and not raining, armed with all the advice above, i'm going back in............ :mrgreen:

SID.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. the pesky little O rings are in and yes washing up liquid was the key. :D

I just feel very guilty to be British at the moment though, how could we subject the rest of the world to such bad design, and for that matter such bad quality, then charge so much.... :roll:

SID.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts