RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres one, as I was driving the Rangi last week I heard what sounded like a sharp loud buzzing noise from under the glove box. I thought HUH!! :? Then today I heard it several times on my 45min drive to work this morning.
Speed makes no difference, lights on or off make no difference, radio on or off makes no difference.

Thanks ya all

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't be sure Carl I only here it while driving, my guess would be behind it. There is not much located under it, now that i think about it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not NJ's, it's in the car, sounds like a 12v buzzer with a very high pitch. The first time I heard it, it was on for 2 seconds. Today 1st time 3 seconds then 2nd time 5 seconds 3rd time it started as a low buzzing then got louder and the went a way.

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AHHHH, what the hell is that? Your freaking me out man.. :shock:

Scotty

·
Registered
344 Posts
hahah have you never heard one? oh my god they're like a locust.. come out of the ground every 17 years in maryland. definitely crazy, and they come by the hundreds of thousands. every year there's always a few that hatch anyway. but they have red eyes and make the most annoying BUZZING sound ever....i guessed you got a cicada stuck up under your dash...:)

check out the sound of just one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy12sppepRQ&NR=1

then check out the 5 minute story about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjLiWy2nT7U
maybe a welcomed distraction from our Rangie headaches...I'm tired of dealing with the LSAT practice exams and my truck personally. the **** glove box is stuck and wont shut after i did the oring job. still havent put my ductwork back in. the entire front dash is basically in the back seat banging around every time I go into a corner.

·
Registered
887 Posts
That's a tough one from the description given, but from the general location that you're suggesting, could it be the expansion tank releasing pressure, or possibly a leak from heater core? Also, I suppose another scenario would be the EAS air tank leaking.

Noticing any unusual things like the temp gage moving around or compressor running more frequently? Or, a HEVAC bookmark?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None of the above, the EAS is working great for a change. Ya know as strange as it sounds if you listen to the first youtube post that fox listed, thats exactly what it sound like! I guess all I need to do to get rid of it, is to snap my fingers.. :lol: :lol: :lol: That would be the 2nd youtube post that fox listed..

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AHHHHH....

Wanna by a Rangi? :lol:

Hey the good news is, they only live for two weeks.

Scotty

·
Registered
543 Posts
Scotty.

Is the sound cum'in from the passenger side ? Maybe your Missus/girlfriends left their 'Vib' behind & it's still switched on dude !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 highline
Perth, W.A.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Huh, that could be it :lol: :lol: I wonder how long it'll take for the batteries to go dead..

Scotty

·
Registered
15 Posts
leaf or something small sneeked past the pollenfilters, touching the fans. happened to me when i changed pollenfilters. They tend to warp when old and full of debris.

·
Registered
226 Posts
mdude said:
leaf or something small sneeked past the pollenfilters, touching the fans. happened to me when i changed pollenfilters. They tend to warp when old and full of debris.

I've had this too, change cabin fan speeds see if it makes difference in sound, PITA to take apart

·
Registered
344 Posts
hahah scotty i just read the second part....lmao... i know you've been snapping your fingers in the truck :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: "come out little cicada"

·
Registered
99 Posts
I suspect it is your fan motor for the HVAC on that side. It will need replacing soon. I have heard this from both sides of my truck. I currently need to replace the passenger side fan- drivers side replaced this summer.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i actually had the exact same thing in my white hse before it got toasted. i never found it, but know exactly what you mean. it's like a high pitch buzzzzzzzzzzzz. not quite as ballsy as a cicada; more like when a gnat or skeeter buzzes in your ear.
mine was intermittent and sometimes even rose in pitch or speed as i accelerated but not always. that left me thinking something tiny was loose or broken and vibrating. let's face it, there are legions of plastic tabs and bits in the dash and fascia that snap off. it only occurred periodically so i know it will return when i restore that truck down the road.
it harmonized quite nicely with the loose regulator rivet in the passenger door when they got around to playing together. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts