Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the post says got a new noise and can't trace it so looking for ideas, I had a seized brake caliper on right front, which caused everything to get hot, so I last weekend I sorted the caliper which turned out was the slides were seized, fitted new brake pads at same time, ever since breaks are working fine no pulling to one side or anything but I have a noise, it gives a similar effect to putting plastic in the spokes of a bike, increases with speed, stays the same when breaking and is a light metallic sound just like the back plate rubbing, but it's not thought cv joint but that would be knocking on corners, other cause could be dust cover on the back of the eheel bearing maybe?

The noise sometimes disappears at 30mph but comes back if I hit a bump or corner, at higher speeds usually pretty non exsistant , checked bake plate is not rubbing, checked nothing is fouling drive shaft, jacked the car up and rotated the wheel by hand and it feels to be rubbing in just 1 place, I've done around 100 miles with the problem and it's not got any worse or better just the noise is annoying.

Any ideas to what it could be?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Well as the post says got a new noise and can't trace it so looking for ideas, I had a seized brake caliper on right front, which caused everything to get hot, so I last weekend I sorted the caliper which turned out was the slides were seized, fitted new brake pads at same time, ever since breaks are working fine no pulling to one side or anything but I have a noise, it gives a similar effect to putting plastic in the spokes of a bike, increases with speed, stays the same when breaking and is a light metallic sound just like the back plate rubbing, but it's not thought cv joint but that would be knocking on corners, other cause could be dust cover on the back of the eheel bearing maybe?

The noise sometimes disappears at 30mph but comes back if I hit a bump or corner, at higher speeds usually pretty non exsistant , checked bake plate is not rubbing, checked nothing is fouling drive shaft, jacked the car up and rotated the wheel by hand and it feels to be rubbing in just 1 place, I've done around 100 miles with the problem and it's not got any worse or better just the noise is annoying.

Any ideas to what it could be?
Possibly smoked wheel bearings... maybe when seized the pad grooved the rotor, and now repaired parts aren't seating properly? I'd pop the caliper off, depress the pistons, then refit... Spin the wheel then and see if it's making any noise, if it isn't either turn your rotor or replace.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks brad worth a try, i aim to take a closer look at the weekend when i have more time, did try bearing for play and there isn't any, if it was a seating problem i would of thought the pads would of bedded in by now, i have drilled/grooved front discs

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I would check to make sure you don't have the wheel speed sensor wire or brake line hitting the edge of the wheel, and making noise as it hit a wheel weight.

Check before driving any more, as you don't want that brake line to rub through.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks rover guy checked the obvious there's nothing fouling the wheel or drive shaft (brake hose was first thing i checked)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok quick heads up managed to get this problem sorted this morning, stripped it apart, disc off and there was the problem, a flange had broken off the back of a whhel stud and was trapped between the hub & back plate so now removed its all quiet again, just need a new hub or stud now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts