RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2002 Rangie with a 4.6 that has a hole in the oil pan and a piece of a connecting rod hanging out. Figured I would swap the motor but am finding mostly ridiculous $3000+ prices for 100k mile motors, or $5000 for a new casted short block from RPI. Two general questions:

1. Will a 4.6 from a 2003 Disco bolt up if I use all my accessories.

2. Where did the conversation about a GM LS1 motor end up. I saw that the BECM, ECU electronics were really the big issue. Did that die or is anyone still working on that? How about an LT1? Anyone in the Mid-Atlantic or nearby up successfully put ANY GM powerplant in a P38 and have the windows work? If we can get one sorted I'd be up for making a couple more.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
The Chevy swap dies a death, yet again...
I toyed with the idea a LOT, but the electronics and transfer case threw a large wrench in the works (fuel tank would probably be in the way of a center output trans case).
I also toyed with grabbing an old parts rig from scotty and swapping drivetrains, but as of yet never got round to it.
There are a few minor differences between the Gems and Bosch motors, but nothing complicated.
All Disco's used Gems IIRC.
I got a used 140k mile motor from ebay for $500, so the deals are out there!

Martin

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would not go with one from an 03 disco. Some had oil pump issues (although most have would have been fixed by now). The 03/04 disco engine will fix. As for secondary air and non secondary air compatability, I am not sure. There are much cheaper engines.
Give Will Tillery a call.
http://roverguy.com/
He is somewhere in Virginia and usually has everything you need at a good price, even with shipping.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh yeah, if you are considering a short block, check your heads and everything else first. I bought my '98 with a bad engine (rod through the side of the block), and found bits of the engine in the upper intake. The rear head bolts are impossible to get out, and still havent got them out yet. I broke two sockets trying. Point is, it got real hot after it ran with no oil (it all leaked out) so I can only assume the heads are warped. Cant imagine some of the valves are any good if I found bits of piston in the intake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts