RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am disabled so 'tinkering' for me is a larger job than for most and I wonder if anybody could give me some pointers to help, I live in Guernsey and have just purchased an ex Manchester Police P38 (built August 99) with 131,000 miles on it and am trying to iron out some niggles - firstly the steering has some play - a pal has indicated to me to look at replacing the steering damper or steering box, secondly when accelerating hard from standing still or uphill there is a loud clonk/clonks from underneath - thought it might be a loose axel/drive part but the torque converter/transmission box have been mentioned, the air suspension fails to rise on the drivers side (bags/sensor ?) and lastly at times when trying to start the dash lights all come on but nothing else happens - I have replaced fuses and wonder if this could be down to a dodgy gearbox position sensor or the ignition itself as there seem to be no pattern to it.

Any advice on the above would be wellcome - thanks :)

Bradford

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Welcome!
- play in the steering is often caused by worn trackends. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel (vigorously) while looking at the ends of both steering and trackrod. Replacing the damper certainly wont help, as it only dampens and doesn't actually transmit the steering force. Before replacing the expensive steering box also look at the steering shaft coming from the steering wheel, it has U-joint that can have play.
- a driveline clonck is not uncommon, usually not the tranmission or converter, but play in de diffs (R&P) or a worn chain in the transferbox. To check for play it's best to remove the propshafts and feel the flanges on both diffs and transfercase.
- troubleshooting then EAS begins with a search for leaks, plenty of threads about that
- for the starting problems, the irregular occurrence will be a bad connection rather than a fuse. Try going through the gears next time she wont start, this can sometimes be enough to have the gearbox position switch transmit the correct sequence. A diagnostic tool would provide a definite answer, if the readings don't match the actual position.

Good luck,

Filip

1 - 2 of 2 Posts